Indoor Track Season Wraps Up

The indoor track team’s season has just concluded, with many athletes having set personal records throughout the season.

+Senior+Evan+Grace+and+sophomore+Charlie+Blundell+run+the+mile+at+Liberty+University%E2%80%99s+indoor+track+complex+during+the+Bulldog+Invitational+meet.

Megha Korpol

Senior Evan Grace and sophomore Charlie Blundell run the mile at Liberty University’s indoor track complex during the Bulldog Invitational meet.

Megha Korpol, Photo Editor

The Rock Ridge indoor track and field season has officially concluded after the last post-season meet, the state championships. Athletes from sprints, distance, and field all competed at a mix of polar bear meets and at indoor track complexes. “This season I competed at a lot of polar bear meets and they were a lot of fun because I enjoy racing with my teammates,” said sophomore Amy To. This year, the team was coached by Brian Schmidt, Bradley Burzumato, Calvin Bostic, and Kayla Hennessy.

This past season has had a number of monumental highlights regarding individual athletes and school records. Distance runner Ava Gordon is currently the fastest freshman in the entire country and holds the current school record for both the mile and the 1,000-meter run. Gordon continues to dominate the track, constantly setting new personal records.

Another personal record and school record in the 3,200-meter was set by senior Evan Grace who is currently the number one runner on the boys’ distance side of the team. Kaegan Avalos and Kobi Browne share the school record of 5-10 for the high jump.

The district, regional, and state meets have ended; a multitude of athletes competed in each. At states, Gordon placed third in the 1,000-meter race, earned all-state honors, set a new school record, and ran a new lifetime record. Junior Taylor Semon ran the mile at states and achieved a lifetime best. Grace earned fifth place and all-state honors in the 3,200-meter race with 10-second lifetime best. Avalos placed sixth in the high jump, had a lifetime best, earned all-state honors, and tied the school record. Browne tied for 8th place in the high jump with a new lifetime best as well. Seniors Leah Polk and Kennedy Simon ran the 55-meter dash at states and also competed in the 4×200 meter relay with juniors Jade Wright and Jacelyn. Senior Jordan Levin also competed at states in the 500-meter dash.

Senior Antonia Pellegrini has competed for the cross country, track team, and the swim team since freshman year and has competed at states multiple times. This was Pellegrini’s last official indoor season of high school. “It was really sad because it was my last indoor track season, but at the same time I really loved it because I got to be around all of my friends,” said Pellegrini. “I’m looking forward to getting back in shape and going after my personal records, and even making new ones for my last season,” said Pellegrini regarding the upcoming outdoor track season.

The team traveled down to Liberty University’s indoor track complex twice this season for the Liberty Christmas High School Invitational and the Bulldog Invitational. “Racing at more competitive meets, such as Liberty, can be an honor and a challenge. The challenge is realizing that you are up against higher level athletes that are out on the track and will leave everything on the track,” said sophomore Kylie Sturman. This is Sturman’s second year on the varsity track team as a distance runner. “The biggest honor of all is crossing the finish line when you can barely catch your breath, that feeling when you know you left everything out on that track, and that’s the biggest honor a runner could wish for,” said Sturman.

The high-caliber Virginia Showcase was also held at Liberty University, which only a very select group of athletes attended. Two regular season meets, the Winter Jacket Classic and Champe Last Chance, were canceled due to inclement weather. The cold indoor track season has ended and now the team has transitioned into warmer weather running for outdoor track, which is currently in full swing.