Many Seniors Apply For Early Action

Early action catches the interest of many seniors

Sesha Patel, Staff Writer

Right as she arrived,senior Shreya Thum stands next to the William & Mary sign for a picture. “[Going on college visits] gives me the chance to see the environment the university fosters, so if I attend I can have a basic idea of how I can get involved,” Shreya said. Many seniors go visit colleges over the long breaks to get the feel of it.

Shreya Thum

With some seniors still getting recommendations from teachers and writing their essays, others are rushing to finalize and submit their applications by the Nov 1st deadline.  For many students, the college application process is long and arduous.  

When applying early to colleges there are two options to apply for, early action and early decision.  Early action is non-binding and students can apply early action to as many colleges as they want.  Early decision on the other hand is a binding agreement, which means if a student gets accepted into a college they applied early decision to they are bound to go.

“Let’s say that you apply early decision and get a yes from that college, but then decide you don’t really want to go there anymore and apply to other colleges.  Colleges talk and you might not be accepted to those other colleges,” career center specialist Soozi Allder said.

During the summer, students start to research schools and try to narrow down to which ones they want to apply.

“I started looking at the application and thinking about the essay topics over the summer, but I didn’t really start to write them until the school year started,” senior Shivani Chinnakonda said.

When the school year starts, seniors rush to their teachers to ask for recommendations and help on their essays.  For some students, applying early to college is something they would rather do than regular decision.

“I knew I wanted to stay in state, that I am sure of, so I decided to apply early so I could get my results fast,” Chinnakonda said.

Applying early to college also lets students qualify for many scholarships that the school has to offer.  Instead of finding individual scholarships online, many schools look at potential scholarships the student can qualify for as they look at their application.

Some students wait for the Jan 15 deadline, which is considered regular decision for many schools.

“I didn’t really understand how early action worked and I thought I would have more time to complete my application,” senior Devin Denning said.

Applying early action can let you apply early to multiple schools, but applying regular decision also lets you apply to multiple schools at a later time.  With many options on when to apply, seniors can pick and choose.

Many Seniors Apply For Early Action