RRHS Crew Starts Off Valentine’s Day Festivities

The team hosts a fun filled celebration to help with fundraising.

Students of RRHS watch as Salsa and Bachata dance professional, Brian Le, teaches them art of salsa dancing.  “It was really fun, we all danced and got closer as a team,” Junior Keerthi Dasojo said.  Students got a chance to learn a new form of dance and have fun.

president Rock Ridge crew

Students of RRHS watch as Salsa and Bachata dance professional, Brian Le, teaches them art of salsa dancing. “It was really fun, we all danced and got closer as a team,” Junior Keerthi Dasojo said. Students got a chance to learn a new form of dance and have fun.

Sesha Patel, Staff Writer

To start off Valentine’s day, RRHS crew hosted a Valentine’s Day celebration on Feb 14th.  The celebration offered cupcakes by Digi’s Cupcakes and a chance to learn how to salsa dance with salsa instructor Brian Le.  The RRHS crew team hosted this event as a fundraiser.

“We are fundraising for boats, as a new team we have had to face many endeavors like not having any equipment, coaches, or even enough people to fill the boat,” junior Keerthi Dasoju said.

The team picked salsa dancing as the activity to help engage attendees.

“We wanted to choose something that was interactive and fun and the salsa instructor came to one of our pasta dinners and everyone seemed to love it,” junior Shiril Yedhara said.

Dasoju also says it was a fun bonding experience.  RRHS crew holds many fundraisers to help get more equipment for their growing team.  

The crew team at RRHS was established in 2014.  They strive to promote and develop ameuter rowing.

“What I enjoy most is the feeling of gliding across the river with the sunset in the background,” junior Mira Warrier said.

In 2016, RRHS crew had a co-ed team of 17 people.  

“Because our team was co-ed we bonded more and got to understand each other as opposed to an all girls or all boys team,” Warrier said.

Now they’ve climbed to a 26 person team.  As they become official last year, RRHS crew is starting to build a legacy.

“A goal that I hope we reach in the future is to win more competitions,” Warrier said.

Last year, RRHS crew team held rowing summer camp to get interested in crew.  During the span of 2 weeks, students helped teach upcoming freshman how to row.

“I enjoy the fact that we’re not just a team, we’re like a family.  We spend a lot of time together.  I also like that I get some responsibility that makes me feel like I’m really important,” Dasoju said.  

The crew team practices every day at 4:15pm to prepare for their upcoming competitions.  The RRHS crew team will compete in their first competition, the Polar Bear Regatta, this season on March 25, 2017.  They will also be competing in the Regional Park Regatta in Apr.  In May, they will be traveling to Philadelphia to compete in the Stotesbury Regatta.

• Multimedia

RRHS Tries the Bean Boozled Challenge

• Clubs and Orgs

Debate team challenges prejudice

• RRHS Crew Starts Off Valentine’s Day Festivities

Sports

Looking to the Field Ahead

Student Life

We deserve a voice too

Sports

The Road to State

Sports

I Sacrifice for Us

A & E

Inside Ghost: The Musical

Clubs and Orgs

Debate team challenges prejudice

• Student Life

Winter Spirit Week

• Opinion

America’s Real Problem? Indifference