Looking to the Field Ahead

Varsity and JV girls' soccer returns with new coaching staff.

Introducing your RRHS Girls Varsity Soccer team! After a long week of tryouts, the girls are as ready as ever to start the season off. During the season, the girls plan on developing new skills, along with new people. “I think I'm gonna try and learn throughout the whole season and see what I wanna do differently or what to improve on,” said junior, returning JV player, Angela Okoye.

Victor O'Neill

Victor O'Neill

Ashlee Cox

Starting the season off with unfamiliar coaches can be difficult, but the girls are interested in what they have to bring to the team.

“I actually like the new coaches,” said, returning JV player, sophomore Fatima Bajwa, “I can tell they’re really trying to get us to work our hardest. They’re explaining what we’re doing wrong and what we’re doing right.”

The girls are nervous for the season but they know with the help of the coaches there is nothing to worry about.

“So far, I really like the two varsity coaches,” junior, returning JV player, Angela Okoye said, “I already was familiar with the head varsity coach but the assistant varsity coach is really nice. For JV, I don’t really know the two JV coaches but the head coach for that team seems really passionate for soccer.”

Even with the brand-new coaches, nothing seems to affect the amount of confidence the girls have for the season.

“Now that the team has been together for 3 years, we play off each other’s strengths and help each other with our weaknesses,” said junior, returning varsity player, Caleigh Schmid, “Each year our record of wins has progressed and I’m expecting us to do very well this season.”

Nonetheless, the girls expect to go far this season and expand on their skills.

“If I make varsity, hopefully I get to meet more new people, especially the freshmen, and I really hope that they can all help me advance my skills,” Okoye said, “Hopefully, the coaches can help me play more with my right foot. Also I want to try and improve on my footwork.”

Leaving last season 7-10 was rough for the team but the girls still manage to stick together and get the job done.

“I have such high hopes for my team this year in general,” said senior, returning varsity player, Jessica McCauley, “On the varsity team, we’ve become extremely close, regardless of age or grade, which is really important to a team’s success. That’s why I think that with the new players coming in and the bond our team already has, we’ll be going places this year. And it seems like the JV team will be right there with us.”

• Multimedia

RRHS Tries the Bean Boozled Challenge

• Clubs and Orgs

Debate team challenges prejudice

• Looking to the Field Ahead

Sports

RRHS Crew Starts Off Valentine’s Day Festivities

• Looking to the Field Ahead

Student Life

We deserve a voice too

• Looking to the Field Ahead

Sports

The Road to State

• Looking to the Field Ahead

Sports

I Sacrifice for Us

• Looking to the Field Ahead

A & E

Inside Ghost: The Musical

• Looking to the Field Ahead

Clubs and Orgs

Debate team challenges prejudice

• Student Life

Winter Spirit Week

• Opinion

America’s Real Problem? Indifference

Looking to the Field Ahead