The 12th Movie In The “Halloween” Franchise, “Halloween Kills,” Continues to Captivate

The movie sequel to the 2018 “Halloween” arrives in theaters, a remake of the 1978 “Halloween.”

Micheal+Myers%2C+the+main+villain+in+all+%E2%80%9CHalloween%E2%80%9D+franchise+movies%2C+stands+with+a+knife+in+his+hand+in+front+of+a+house+he+just+burned+in+Haddonfield%2C+Illinois+in+1978.+

Dean Cundey, Director of Photography for 1978 “Halloween” off of Creative Commons Licenses

Micheal Myers, the main villain in all “Halloween” franchise movies, stands with a knife in his hand in front of a house he just burned in Haddonfield, Illinois in 1978.

Hylay Assefa, Staff Writer

The 2021 movie “Halloween Kills¨ starts off where the 2018 movie “Halloween” ends, with Myers being burned by Laurie Strode, a victim of Myers, but you can hear him breathing in the post credit scene indicating he is alive. This resurrection of sorts was somewhat expected as Myers, the main villain and central character, has to be alive for the series to continue.

The movie did not impress or live up to the expectations. The 1978 “Halloween” is scary to watch because it gives you a lot of suspense when Myers is chasing his victim to their demise. “Halloween Kills” does a good job giving you a thrill when Myers kills his victim, but the chase should give you more thrill because it is longer than the kill. “It was not as good as the first one, but interesting enough so that no one was bored throughout the movie,” sophomore Soham Chandra said. 

With a quick flash to previous scenes from the 1978 film, Myers’s psychiatrist (played by Nick Castle), Donald Pleasence, shoots him with a revolver many times. This does not stop Myers as he gets up and runs away. 

In another 1978 scene, Officer Hawkins (played by Will Patton) accidentally kills his partner while Myers is strangling him. However, Hawkins regrets not letting his partner shoot Myers rather than killing his partner. If he had let his partner shoot him, Myers would have been dead and his killing spree would halt at last. These scenes were shown to act as a recap/introduction to refresh viewers. 

In the current 2018 time frame, set 40 years later, survivors of Myers’ killing sprees—Marion Chambers, Lindsey Wallace, Cameron’s father, and Lonnie Elam—celebrate Myers’s 40th anniversary of not killing anyone because he was imprisoned. While they celebrate, firefighters respond to Laurie Strode’s burning house, a victim who was harassed by Myers back in 1978. Myers had escaped and went to Strode’s house. The fire was caused by Laurie trying to kill off Myers by burning her house down. Unknown to the firefighters, they accidentally let Myers out assuming he was a victim within the house. From there, the killing spree continues. 

Although it was overhyped, the movie had extremely graphic parts that gave people a thrill. It is the most graphic out of all the “Halloween” franchise movies. The movie is less scary, more disgusting. There are many jumpscares, and the kills themselves make you jump out of your skin. The violent scenes felt similar to the video game and movie “Mortal Kombat.” It’s known for being extremely explicit with its killings or finishes. These scenes left viewers shocked with the creative visuals that have not been seen in previous films.

Other than that, the movie does an amazing job continuing the series. Even if it is a cliffhanger, I would rate it a 9/10 because the explicit/gore scenes give the movie something you will never forget. It is a great recommendation to anybody who is a fan of the “Halloween” franchise or enjoys the realistic gore aspect. Well done to David Gordon Green, director of “Halloween Kills,” for creating a well-made sequel to a classic movie that is seen by many on Halloween.