First Episode of Kanye West’s “Jeen-yuhs” Tops the Netflix Top 10

The first episode of Kanye West’s “Jeen-yuhs” showcases his come up and how he became the legend he is today. The launch of the documentary was so successful that it reached Netflix’s top 10.

Kanye+West+performs+at+Lollapalooza+in+2011%3B+%E2%80%9CJeen-yuhs%E2%80%9D+helps+explain+his+journey+to+such+a+large+stage+by+showing+his+come+up.+

Wikimedia Commons

Kanye West performs at Lollapalooza in 2011; “Jeen-yuhs” helps explain his journey to such a large stage by showing his come up.

Hylay Assefa, Staff Writer

Shadowing Kanye West’s anticipated album, “Donda 2,” West launched his new documentary, “Jeen-Yuhs,” on Feb. 16, 2022. The documentary will include three episodes, but only the first episode, “act i: VISION,” has been released. The next episodes are expected to be titled “act ii: PURPOSE” and “act iii: AWAKENING.”

“VISION” highlights West’s vision of his rap career, starting with West’s hometown in Chicago. He grew up in a small house with his mom, Donda West, throughout the school year, but went to his dad, Ray West, for the summers. Though he graduated from high school, the younger West dropped out of college at age 20 to pursue his musical dreams.  

This documentary only exists because his friend, Coodie, wanted to record everything he did starting in 1995. He believed that West was going to be huge. Coodie was from West’s hometown, Chicago, and wanted to be a rapper as well. 

West started his career in music as a producer, making beats for other rappers to use. He realized he was not getting as many rappers to produce for, so he moved to New York. He convinced Coodie to come record with him as well; the duo went into New York with big dreams and high hopes. This big move proved to be the right decision, as not much was happening with West’s career in Chicago.

West made a living producing for other rappers. He hit peak when he helped produce the song “Izzo (H.O.V.A.)” by one of the most famous rappers of all time, JAY-Z. According to West, when he played the beat for him, JAY-Z started bobbing his head to the music. That song went on to reach eighth on the Billboard Hot 100. The song is a very catchy song that many, including myself, were familiar with before the release of “Jeen-yuhs.” However, I had no idea West produced it and was pleased to know he did. This little sneak peak at West’s younger self gave viewers insight into his diverse range of talents.

Although West went on to sell beats to other rappers, he  realized that he wanted to rap on his own beats. He knew that first he had to get signed by a record label. The best label in town was Roc-A-Fella Records, founded by JAY-Z, but it was very competitive. 

West showed Roc-A-Fella a couple songs where he rapped on his own beats. They were extremely great songs, but they did not see him as a rapper because he was so good at being a producer. This made him mad because his greatness at one skill affected his opportunity for another. I agreed with West on how the studio was blindsided by his producing, but he had to understand where the label was realistically coming from. They are coming from the mindset of West being a producer only. 

He then went to other record labels and got the same result; he wasn’t fit to be a rapper. Soon, he returned to his hometown of Chicago to clear his mind and visit his mother, Donda West. She let him and Coodie in there, and treated him as family. West is a very self confident person, but all of it comes from his mom’s confidence in him. I can relate to this because I get my confidence from my parents as well. Instead of entertainment, for me, my parents inspire my confidence in soccer and school. 

West then left his mom and decided to go into Roc-A-Fella Records again. He then played more songs for them. They realized that he could become a successful rapper and signed him. The episode ends with him celebrating his joining with JAY-Z and other Roc-A-Fella rappers. It was a good way to end the episode, with triumph that starts the  next episode with a high note, giving it room to either change the tide or keep up the positive atmosphere. 

Although as long as a film, the episode keeps viewers  invested because it provides them  with information on chasing dreams and how West chased his. 

Through explaining West’s history, his relationship with his mother, and the early ups and downs of his producer career, this episode was a very good beginning/pilot to the series Overall, I would give it a 10/10 first episode with meaningful raw interviews and footage. Find the rest of the show on Netflix.