Inspiring Students From Behind the Cafeteria Counter

On March 10, Rock Ridge High School was selected as one of the five schools in the state to receive the 2022 Virginia School Breakfast Award. Deserving of the recognition, the cafeteria staff continues to work to provide students with nutritious and tasty meals.

Courtesy of Rock Ridge High School Instagram

School Nutrition Manager Sherri Foster-Craft and cafeteria staff members Rubenia, Lourdes, Fatima, and Guiliana pose for a picture after being awarded the 2022 Virginia School Breakfast Award. “This was a big accomplishment and was really exciting,” Foster-Craft said. “It made me feel pretty good and obviously we’re doing a pretty good job in our breakfast for us to get an award for the state.”

Naomi Cho, Staff Writer

While approximately 72% of students at Rock Ridge eat the cafeteria breakfasts, snacks, or lunches, many are unaware of the hard work and dedication that goes on behind the cafeteria counter. Getting to school as early as 6:15 a.m., the cafeteria staff works tirelessly to provide and prepare the freshest meals for the student body in a welcoming manner. “The way the cafeteria staff serves the food creates a strong, positive environment and sets the tone for the rest of my day,” senior Carly Davis said. “They never fail to put a smile on my face.” 

The cafeteria staff is in charge of preparing approximately 350 breakfasts and 800 lunches each day for the student body. Sherri Foster-Craft, the school nutrition manager, has been working to serve students meals since Rock Ridge High School opened in 2014. While Foster-Craft enjoys preparing meals, her favorite part of the job is working with the students. “I have so much fun talking to the students and hearing about their sports and activities,” Foster-Craft said. “The joy is communicating with the students and encouraging them to try new foods that they haven’t eaten before. I enjoy my job a lot.”

Drawn by seniors Alexandra Hardesty and Jasleen Bhangra, the colorful “Take Off With School Breakfast” board, located in the cafeteria kitchen, was created to honor the cafeteria staff and their accomplishments. “We decided to make it seem like the breakfast was taking off into the sky,” Bhangra said. “It was a good way to appreciate our amazing staff.” (Naomi Cho)

Foster-Craft believes that the free-lunch policy implemented this year has benefited students immensely. “I think it’s been great for students to not worry about needing to have money to pay for school meals,” Foster-Craft said. “It’s been more of an incentive for students to come and get breakfast, snacks, or lunches.”

Students like sophomore Sam Cho believe that the free lunch policy has increased the willingness to try new foods amongst students. “I’ve tried a lot of foods in the cafeteria that I normally would not have this year, such as the nachos,” Cho said. “It’s fun to try new foods and even share them with my friends.”

While the cafeteria provides many options, Foster-Craft is aware that everyone has different preferences and tastes. “I always have a policy that if you get something and you don’t like it, you are allowed to bring it back and get something you want,” Foster-Craft said. “I’ve always done that, because I want students to enjoy their meal.”

When serving food, the cafeteria staff maintains a clean and orderly space for students to easily grab their food. Junior Iyush Hoysal, who eats school brunch every day, appreciates this organized structure. “They never leave a mess and it’s always nice and neat when I come in to get food,” Hoysal said. 

Sophomore Jagadeepram Maddipatla often enjoys the cafeteria’s sun butter and jelly sandwiches and agrees that the cafeteria staff is methodical in their service. “The cafeteria is always diligent with cooking hot food and is always attempting to provide the freshest options available in an organized manner,” Maddipatla said.

Many students, including senior Rhea Reddy, enjoy grabbing a snack during brunch break before heading to class. “I usually get a snack two to three days a week,” Reddy said. “I like the pancakes and cheese sticks. Whenever I grab food, the staff is always so sweet and they help start my day off right.”

Not only does the cafeteria staff strive to create a welcoming environment, but they also encourage healthy habits amongst students. “They’re always reminding me to grab a fruit or vegetable with my meal and overall encouraging us to eat more healthily,” senior Divya Salur said. “It’s always served with a smile.”

Throughout all of their hard work, the cafeteria staff inspires many students, including senior Lauren Yi, to set a positive tone for their day. “It makes my day by seeing them smile and being so welcoming every single time for so many students,” Yi said. “This is inspiring to me and encourages me to think positively, especially when I’m having a bad day. You can really tell that the cafeteria ladies have put a lot of care into what they do since the food is always warm and ready to go.” 

Senior Agnes Akenou eats the school breakfast every day and agrees that the cafeteria staff puts considerable thought into their work. “It’s inspiring to me when they’re very friendly and welcoming even in the early morning,” Akenou said. “Ms. Foster-Craft always asks me how I am in the morning and smiles at me. This always puts me in a better mood and helps me start off my day on a good note.”

Students aren’t the only ones who appreciate the cafeteria staff. Many staff members, including Assistant Principal Jennifer Cavanaugh, enjoy eating the cafeteria food. “While I don’t eat the cafeteria food very often, I believe we have a phenomenal cafeteria staff. Even when they’re short-staffed or in a rush due to a schedule change, they always manage to make everything go seamlessly in the cafeteria,” Cavanaugh said. “My favorite food the cafeteria staff serves is mac and cheese.”

Although some students pack their lunches at home, most still recognize the cafeteria staff’s positive attitude. “Even if you’re not getting food, you can tell that the staff is very welcoming,” senior Reem Awad said. “I really enjoy talking to them.”

Although grabbing food is generally dubbed as a quick task, the cafeteria staff works to ensure the best possible breakfast and lunch experience for the student body. “The cafeteria staff are true heroes that support the most basic needs of students,” senior Shritha Pillai said. “I appreciate and thank them for all the work they have done for us.”