Akshara Somu

December 16, 2022

Aarohi Motwani

Sitting next to her teacher honoree, social studies teacher Victoria Webb, senior Akshara Somu enjoys a meal and engages in conversation with Webb and other people sitting at her table. “[Webb] is an amazing teacher, and I think our school is so lucky to have such a passionate history teacher,” Somu said. “It’s amazing that it’s only her second year of teaching.”

Akshara Somu is a scholar student as well as a student who commits herself wholeheartedly to her many extracurricular activities. She is a Teacher Assistant for AP Psychology and found her passion for volunteering as the founder of  NOVA Allies – a non-profit that focuses on obtaining resources, donations, etc. for people in need. Inspiring the student body to do the same and give back to their community, she was named the 2021-2022 Top Volunteer for the Rock Ridge National Honor Society. 

She also worked with Athletic Trainer Cole Powell for two years and built a home in the Athletic trainer Student Aide Program at Rock Ridge High School. “He taught me so much, outside of just medicine,” Somu said. “I [gain] so much wisdom from him everyday and he helped me learn that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.”

Somu aspires to find a career in the clinical neuroscience or neurosurgery field.

When I enjoy a class, like AP Psychology, for example, I look forward to going to school and that was really my motivation.

— Senior Akshara Somu

While Somu felt that she could have been better about prioritizing her own time outside of school, she believes that it’s very important that everyone prioritizes their mental health before education and school. But, she believes that school is really her motivation and what makes her get out of bed every morning. “I have always loved learning to an extent; I definitely still hate doing homework,” Somu said. “When I enjoy a class, like AP Psychology, for example, I look forward to going to school and that was really my motivation.”

THE BLAZE • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in