Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush

Class of '16 reflects on good memories with their counselor

“Ashley Bush, the senior class counselor is filled with emotion as the senior class chants “we love Ms.Bush,” at the homecoming pep rally. The senior class found out earlier that week that Mrs.Bush would be moving to Amsterdam the following week. “It was great to see her so happy, and I hope she remember this pep rally forever,” Lucky Vermi said.

Vivi Dion

Jaha Knight

“I was absolutely shocked when she said she was leaving. She is such a vital part of the school, that I couldn’t imagine it without her,” senior Kara Wright said.

“It’s going to be weird graduating without her,” senior Grace Holske said.

“Instantaneous tear shedding and disbelief,” senior Ivana Spurlock said.

These were just some of the reactions after the Class of ‘16 received the news at their class meeting that the counselor who helped them get settled at the rock and help guide them through every part of their college process left on October 2, 2015.

Ashley Bush, who is the counselor for the Class of ’16, all AOS students, and freshmen with the last names T-Z will be relocating to Amsterdam for her husband’s job. Her husband will be taking a position at the International KMPG office in Amsterdam beginning in October.

“I look forward to being there with my husband and our dog Frank,” Bush said.

After the news, there was a brief silence with the muffled sound of sniffles and tears, and then an eruption of cheering and clapping. Who wouldn’t want to clap for Mrs.Bush.

“She knew my name after the first time I spoke to her, which is something that’s very rare,” senior Bria Hicks said.

“I was swarmed with feelings of sadness and happiness for her. I am happy she’s happy, but sad that one of the best is leaving,” Lucky Vermuri said.

In the short time the Rock has been open Mrs. Bush has made an impact on every single one of her students; whether it was a big or small impact, or you were a new student or there from the beginning.

Many students have concerns as to who the new counselor will be, how will everyone adjust, and simply how we move forward. Mrs. Bush ensured all her students that they have nothing to worry about and she leaves them with this.

“You all have the potential to go to college and make sure you pick the right school for YOU, there are 4,000 colleges in the U.S for a reason, You are all unique and your college choice should match how special each and every one of you are,” Ashley Bush said.

“I’ve often heard people say “RRHS is a special place”. I can truly attest to that. I’ve never been around such a special group of students and faculty and I can only hope to find something remotely close to the special time I’ve had at the Rock. I want to thank Mr. Duellman for being an amazing leader, the faculty for being incredibly supportive and engaging, and my students for enriching my life every day.”

But not everything was all sappy and filled with tears. Many seniors had plenty of memories to share.

“My most memorable moment with Mrs. Bush would honestly be all of them, every day when I saw her at lunch it would make me so happy to see her smiling face and know that if I ever needed to break down I could always go to her,” Harleen Kaur said.

“Something I’ll always remember is how easy it was to go to her. One day during rock block I just felt the urge to just sit down and talk to her about things. I had never done this with a counselor before and I remember how open and welcoming she was. I felt so comfortable and felt that I could trust her with all my worries and anxieties about the future.  I was amazed that she could take it all in with so much ease and was able to sort out all my thoughts and plans in a single setting. I remember leaving that office and yearning to return to feel peace again,” senior Valeria Barreto said.

“All of my moments with her are memorable, so it’s kinda hard to choose one. She just made me really happy with her constant words of encouragement,” senior Destyne Wood said.

“I remember when we hung out at Rock Ridges first track meet and she told me not worry about college because I will get into what I desire and she praised my personality and we walked about Frank,” senior Ivana Spurlock said.

“My most memorable moment would have to be every time she and I talked about schools, it really got me thinking,” senior Monteral Jackson said.

“Thank you so much for putting time in to making everyone feel special, and getting to know them. Also thank you for being the light in such a dark school (literally),” senior Spurlock said.

“Thank you so much for being the best school counselor I’ve ever had,” senior Kara Wright said.

“Mrs. Bush, thank you for your constant unconditional support. Thank you for not only being a strong college and career advisor, but also an all-around pure and kind soul. Thank you for your support when I got into governor school. Thank you for checking in with me on bad days, but most of all thank you for stepping out of your role as just a counselor and becoming a cherished friend,” senior Lucky Vermuri said.

“I would like to thank you for the big impact you’ve had on my life. Whenever I was down or felt like nobody ever cared, you stepped out of your position as just counselor and treated me with so much love and support. You would check up on me the following days after to see if I was okay, and you also gave me the same amount of support academically. You made me feel like I had a purpose not only at Rock Ridge but in life. You will never be replaceable in my life and you will forever hold a special place in my heart. I love you so much and not only did I gain a new counselor from transferring schools, but I also gained a second mom,” senior Jaha Knight said.

• Features

Escaping the Ashburn Bubble

• Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush

Features

Swimming Into Success

• A & E

A Preview of “Disney’s The Little Mermaid”

• Features

Brandon Wakefield: An Inside Look

• Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush

Features

“We Were Lucky”

• Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush

Features

What Really Matters

• Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush

Features

Whole New World

• Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush

Features

Prom Prep

• Features

Oscars

• Features

Back to the Future…Again

Seniors say Farewell to Mrs.Bush