• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

Pride/Phoenix Stir Up the Hornets/Seahawks Nest

On Jan. 26, the Heritage Pride/Rock Ridge Phoenix ice hockey team hosted the Herndon Hornets/South Lakes Seahawks for their senior night game. After a close three periods, the Pride/Phoenix came out on top with a 4-2 win.
Nidhi Manchala
Freshman defenseman Brooks Furtek (44) cross-checks a Seahawk in a race to get the puck.

Strong in their second place position in the Norris division of the Northern Virginia Scholastic Hockey League (NVSHL), the Heritage Pride/Rock Ridge Phoenix ice hockey team faced the Herndon Hornets/South Lakes Seahawks on Saturday, Jan. 26. The match ended in a 4-2 victory for the Pride/Phoenix, making this their third win of the season.

Prior to the start of the game, the team’s three seniors, all of which coming from Heritage, were recognized for their dedication to the program, years playing ice hockey, and plans after high school. Seniors Declan McGinley (Goaltender), Colin Haddad (Forward), and Daniel McConchie (Forward) each strode across the ice, bouquet in hand, and posed for photos with family members as the crowd of supporters cheered for their achievements. 

Following the celebration and additional warm-ups, both teams were finally ready for puck drop. As the first period began, the Pride/Phoenix came out strong, consistently penetrating the offensive zone and making their way past the Hornets/Seahawks defense. Within the opening five minutes of the match, the Pride/Phoenix scored their first goal, a shorthanded shot by freshman Ethan Hong assisted by freshman Dylan Lam. “It felt pretty good, getting a point as a freshman on varsity feels good,” Lam said. Keeping up their momentum, the Pride/Phoenix were back on the scoreboard with a goal from senior Daniel McConchie assisted by fellow senior Colin Haddad. The Pride/Phoenix continued to defend their net throughout the remainder of the period, ending it with a 2-0 lead.

Starting the second period with the same energy, the Pride/Phoenix added to their tally with a game-deciding goal from junior Blake Berthiaume assisted by junior Grant Brosnan. However, it wasn’t completely smooth sailing for the home team as the Hornets/Seahawks soon answered with a power-play goal of their own in the closing minutes of the period. With both teams on the board with a score of 3-1, the opponents began increasing their intensity, with three minor penalties, for hooking and cross-checking respectively, being called to close out the period. 

Fighting to even out the score, the Hornets/Seahawks began an offensive effort that allowed them to control the puck for the majority of the period. While their efforts were consistently halted by Pride/Phoenix defensemen, the Hornets/Seahawks scored a power-play goal in the last minute of the period, leading to a narrow margin of 3-2 in favor of the Pride/Phoenix. Putting all their effort into potentially taking the game to overtime, the Hornets/Seahawks pulled their goalie, adding a sixth player to their offense in hopes of tying the game. Although the Hornets/Seahawks attempted several shots-on-goal to keep their chances at a win alive, a buzzer-beater empty net goal from the Pride/Phoenix sealed their fate, concluding the matchup with a Pride/Phoenix victory of 4-2.