• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

Woody The Woodpecker’s Newest Adventure: Camp

In order to learn about the importance of teamwork, Woody the Woodpecker has to interact with his new friends, and, in the process, goes through a rollercoaster of emotions as he encounters many adventures at camp.
As Woody is kicked out by his own people in the forest because of his behavior, he is forced to learn about the power of teamwork. For this, he travels to Camp Woo Hoo for experiences that will change his point of view. Photo courtesy of Universal Picture Home Entertainment.

Released on April 12, “Woody Woodpecker Goes to Camp” features the cartoon character “Woody Woodpecker,” who made his debut in the self-titled film released in 2017 directed by Alex Zamm. “Woody Woodpecker” was created by Walter Lantz, who received an honorable award for his achievement in animation. Directed by Jonathan A. Rosenbaum, “Woody Woodpecker Goes to Camp” is a family and comedy movie worth watching because it shares an important message to the audience about the values of teamwork and friendship.

“Woody Woodpecker Goes to Camp” is set seven years after its prequel, where Woody gets kicked out of his own home because of a petition made by all the other animals in the forest following his failures as a community member. To go back home, he needs to get the “teamwork badge,” which can only be earned if he understands the true meaning of working with a group. 

The story contains various adventures that Woody tackles during his time at the Woo Hoo Camp, the only place where he could earn the “teamwork badge.” Woo Hoo Camp was a STEAM summer club, where students showed their skills and competed with another camp, an old rival, Camp Hoorah. Each year, the Woo Hoo Camp loses to the Hoorah camp, leading to a lack of confidence among the campers. But this time, Woody and his first friend Maggie, a student in camp, try to change the past and rewrite history. 

As Woody and the other students are trying to practice for the contest, the main antagonist, Buzz Buzzard, is introduced as a con artist, who pretends to be part of the Hoorah camp. Buzz Buzzard’s goal was to steal the gold from both camps and run away. With his plan, Woody knew he had to stop him, but he couldn’t do this alone —he needed Maggie, Angie (leader of Woo Hoo Camp), and other students to help him. Through his elaborate plan, Woody discovers the value of friendship and teamwork. On her journey, Maggie also discovers a new skill:  to motivate and influence others. 

Regardless of the amazing storyline and humor, the animation could be improved. There is no doubt in the effectiveness of the comedy plot, but if the animated characters, such as Woody and Buzz Buzzard, were drawn better, then the movie would achieve its goals and be seen as a true reflection of our world. 

However, as mentioned before, humor lightens the mood of the movie. With such an inspired storyline, this movie explains that it’s not always important to win in a competition, but we should always try our best to achieve our goals. Because without trying, you will never know how good you are. The message of friendship, cooperation, teamwork, and the idea that we should always try even if we lose, allows audiences to learn that trying is just another win for yourself.  

This film provides a meaningful theme, message, and ignorant, but humorous jokes. Audiences who are looking for a lighthearted adventure would enjoy this movie. This movie is a great family-friendly movie to watch with younger kids. 

“Woody Woodpecker Goes to Camp” is available to stream on all streaming services.