• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

Nguyen Swan Song: No Knowing

You’d think I’d be better at writing this, but I guess not.
Sydney Nguyen
“At the end of it all, four weeks til caps meet crowns, I remember that you can never really know.” -No Knowing

A fire station burns down, a drenched man enjoys “what lovely weather we’re having,” a dentist has bad teeth, and somewhere in the world, a “writer” is at a loss for words. Ironic, ain’t it?

You’d think that someone like me — who has enjoyed writing their whole life, who listens to nerdy podcasts like “Lingthusiam,” and who is a member of groups like the National English Honor Society — would be able to articulate just how they feel about  graduating. But I think you’d be wrong, at least this time.

Throughout the past couple of weeks, reflecting on my high school experience has become almost inevitable. But each time I’ve been placed face-to-face with such a task, I find myself with nothing more than, “It’s been real.” Because, in truth, it has been real. The past four years have been such a time for pain and growth, and for connection and distance, and for stress and chilling, and mostly, just for living

And life, in all its beauty, has been one heck of a ride. From the COVID pandemic in 2020 to the Gazan genocide in 2024, it seems like the defining events of our generation are happening all too soon. Thus, high school has been bookended by backdrops of worldwide unrest. Just as I entered, so too do I exit – in “unprecedented times,” as they say.

But, nonetheless, I’ve made it. Four long years end in four short weeks, and that reality is something I truly can’t believe. At times, it felt like the monotony of everyday life would never end, and at others, it felt like the days were flying by. Now though, as all things must, it comes to an end. 

“I have no regrets,” would make Pinnochio’s nose grow because, admittedly, I have many. I spare us both most of it, but I would like to say a couple of things, pieces of advice perhaps.

Do what you love; it makes what you do better.

Put yourself out there; it’s hard but so worth it.

Don’t try too hard; I did.

And finally, trust yourself; listen and love and learn.

That is all. Additionally, in my last words for The Blaze, I feel obliged to spend at least a little moment to thank those who helped me along the way.

Thank you to Ms. Greiner and all of newspaper for creating a place where I could grow so comfortably — as a writer, designer, editor, photographer, and perhaps most importantly, as a person.

Thank you to Ms. Spengeman and all of Art and Lit Mag for being my first real community in high school; it’s been a joy hanging out and reading cool writing and looking at cool art and going crazy over design and doing everything else we did together.

Thank you to Michael, my younger brother, for sitting through my lengthy “what did you do today?” answers and for making every day a great, new, fun, and exciting adventure.

Thank you to my mom and dad for always supporting me, especially through the nightmare of college applications and the challenges of science and math.

And of course, thank you to all of my friends for helping me with all things social and academic, from struggling over chemistry to enjoying senior prom together.

With that, I feel it time to conclude. I started all of this by saying that I don’t know how I feel going out of high school. And, I end still unsure. But, perhaps to place a certain pseudo-profundity on it, I guess not knowing is okay.

At the end of it all, four weeks til caps meet crowns, I remember that you can never really know. After all, somewhere, sometime, you might just find a fire station burning down.