• Important Dates -->
  • 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Phoenix Leave a Blazing Trail for Track Regionals

During the regionals track meet, several Phoenix athletes competed and placed, giving them a ticket to compete at states.
+Senior+Teyany+Kleiner+looks+to+take+the+lead+away+from+a+Huskies+runner+and+a+Wolverines+runner.+Kleiner+became+the+regional+runner-up+after+racing+in+the+100+and+200+meter.
Lucian Tiller
Senior Teyany Kleiner looks to take the lead away from a Huskies runner and a Wolverines runner. Kleiner became the regional runner-up after racing in the 100 and 200 meter.

On Wednesday, May 22, the Phoenix track team competed alongside Broad Run, Dominion, Heritage, John Champe, Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley, Park View, Tuscarora, and Woodgrove at the region championship held at the Phoenix home track.

Six Phoenix athletes placed during regionals, including sophomore Khem Temoka, who placed as a regional champion from the boy’s 400 meter race, senior Daniel Bankole, who placed as a regional champion from the discus competition, and juniors Lilia Jones and Micah Younger, freshman Adrienne Lwanga, and sophomore Zoe Fyne-Okorie placed for the 4×100 race, as regional champions.

During regionals, some athletes took this opportunity to show perseverance after injuries or mental blocks. “I was kind of nervous because it was a home meet, I knew some of my friends were watching, and I just came back from an injury; I’ve been injured for about a week, so I was pretty nervous,” sophomore Khem Temoka said. “To be honest, I was overthinking things, I didn’t know what I was doing wrong, I didn’t know what caused my injury, but I’m good, I’m good.” 

Among the stress of competing against several other high-ranking athletes for the qualifiers, the Phoenix also had to account for the weather, which was very humid and rainy that day, posing as another figurative hurdle to jump over. “Like any other track meet, I hydrat[ed], [ate] good food, good breakfast, good lunch, and I just trust[ed] my training in general, and I got a lot of sleep too [to get around the weather].” Temoka said. 

As the senior athletes step down and the new track athletes step up, new precedents are set. Seniors like  Daniel Bankole now focus on what’s ahead of them in their academic and athletic careers. “Regionals felt great, I had a big PR in regionals and I took first place [in discus], which made me really happy,” Bankole said. “I feel kind of sad, but at the same time I feel good [about leaving] because I wanna go around more, I don’t want to just be confined here. I will miss my friends and my teachers, though.” Bankole said.