As+new+counselors+Whitney+Leach+and+Katie+Doppelheuer+started+their+counseling+journey+as+a+Phoenix%2C+they+received+encouragement+from+students+and+fellow+staff+members.+%E2%80%9CI+had+been+working+with+one+student+for+a+couple+weeks%2C+and+they+weren%E2%80%99t+too+sure+if+they+were+going+to+do+well+in+their+class+or+not%2C%E2%80%9D+Doppelheuer+said.+%E2%80%9CAnd+at+the+end+of+the+semester%E2%80%A6they+came+to+me+and+said+%E2%80%98I+got+the+grade+I+wanted+to+get%E2%80%99+and+they+thanked+me+for+just+being+an+ear+who+listened+and+helped+them+work+through+their+stress.%E2%80%9D+

Dominika Butler

As new counselors Whitney Leach and Katie Doppelheuer started their counseling journey as a Phoenix, they received encouragement from students and fellow staff members. “I had been working with one student for a couple weeks, and they weren’t too sure if they were going to do well in their class or not,” Doppelheuer said. “And at the end of the semester…they came to me and said ‘I got the grade I wanted to get’ and they thanked me for just being an ear who listened and helped them work through their stress.”

These New Phoenix Counselors Are Already Making a Difference

Two new counselors, Whitney Leach and Katie Doppelheuer, joined the Phoenix faculty at the start of the 2021-2022 school year. In honor of counselor appreciation week, they share their stories and path to their careers.

February 16, 2022

In honor of counselor appreciation week, the counseling department organized a bulletin board admiring each counselor for the week of Feb. 6 to 12. Students were able to write positive messages thanking counselors for their support on heart-shaped colored paper.

Included on the board are two first-year Phoenix counselors — Katie Doppelheuer and Whitney Leach. Both new to the counseling field, they are eager to engage with the school community.

Embellished with hearts, the bulletin board outside the counseling office features messages from students to honor the hard work of counselors. The board was created by Career Center Specialist Mary Barnes and students were encouraged to write messages to their counselors during lunch. (Dominika Butler)

Katie Doppelheuer

Down the hall in the counseling office, Doppelheuer can be found at her desk, legs crossed, clicking away at her computer. In her office, she softly speaks with a student, who is overwhelmed with recent mental and academic challenges they have been facing. Offering a box of tissues and a snack, Doppelheuer shares her advice with a gentle smile on her face. 

Before pursuing counseling, Doppelheuer studied art history in college, but that all suddenly changed due to a sudden accident. “I had a really bad car accident and ended up having to take a year off of school to recover,” Doppelheuer said. “Through that process, I worked with my own counselor who helped me overcome a lot of the issues I was having and [I thought], ‘Wow, this is amazing, I want to do that for other people,’ so I switched my major.” 

So far, Doppelheuer is still adjusting to working in a school environment, but she enjoys the diverse culture. “On my very first week, the other counselors, Mr. Terry, the social worker, and school psychologist were so supportive,” Doppelheur said. “[They] threw a welcoming breakfast for me and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.”

Doppelheuer is excited to immerse herself into every aspect of Phoenix culture. “I’m excited to see the sports in the spring; I can’t wait to attend the amazing theater productions; I can’t wait to participate in graduation; I can’t wait to help out with prom, and I’m looking forward to next year to see what clubs and activities I can sponsor,” Doppelheuer said.