Zens: The Creative Currency

Sophomore Shayan Khan, creator of a currency he calls “Zens,” aims to create an alternative to real money. His “Zen Force,” a group of friends and friend groups, serves to police the currency.

The Zen Force was an online group originally created to act as a police force for Khan’s currency, the Zen, but the concept quickly evolved to have its own website and group chat.

James Bowles

James Bowles, Managing Editor

In Sept. 2018, sophomore Shayan Khan had an idea. “I was thinking [that since] people have stuff [like candy, school supplies, toys] they don’t want, maybe they don’t want to spend money on that stuff,” Khan said. This idea called for a currency to trade items from one person who no longer needs them to another who wants them, an alternative currency to real money.  Khan and his friend spouted ideas for the currency and eventually decided to call it “Zens”.

Khan started inventing things in middle school, starting with his currency, the Zens. After a while he evolved into creating music and websites. Khan said there is no particular reason why he started creating. “It was fun, that’s what drove me to make more things.” Khan said. He’s always ready to share his ideas and inventions with his friends, encouraging creativity.

“[Since] there are yen [used as currency] in Japan, [ I thought], ‘let’s do something that ends with ‘en’,’” Khan said. “That’s where the idea of Zens was born.” With the name created, all that was left was to give it a purpose. In Khan’s words, Zens are a way to trade items and exchange items of all kinds. “I went home that day, whipped out my hot glue gun, and whipped out a bunch of cardboard, index cards, and markers,” Khan said. “After five million hours of hard work, I made the first Zen.”

With the currency created, there was only one problem — someone would need to monitor the value. So, Khan decided to create Zen Force, a group of friends tasked with making sure Zens are watched and accounted for. As the force grew, new members and chats were created for it. Though COVID-19 and quarantine stunted the growth of the group, the Zen Force still remains active today. 

The creation of the first Zen   the start of dozens of variations, each a step in the evolution of the Zen currency. Some were made with hot glue and cardboard, others with index cards. The symbol changed until Khan eventually settled on the Z symbol.

Zens and the Zen Force aren’t Khan’s only creations. He has also created a gauntlet made to mimic Marvel’s infinity gauntlet. Khan’s friends admire his passion to invent. “He’s always thinking or making up something new,” freshman Lalith Penumatsa, a friend of Khan, said.

Khan has also developed music. “I don’t really create much music now, but I did back in middle school,” Khan said. “There was no particular reason, it was just fun.”

Khan created projects of all different types out of passion and enjoyment. He hopes his journey would  be a signal that drives students to seek out to create and have fun. “Creating is fun; it’s an outlet for me.” Khan said. “I do believe more people should create things they like, no matter how big or small it is.”