The Queen’s Death and the Shoes To Fill

After Queen Elizabeth II’s death at the age of 96, Prince Charles becomes the new King of England. King Charles is ready to take on the crown.

Wikimedia Commons

Queen Elizabeth II photographed during her coronation on June 2, 1953, marking the start of her 70 year reign. “Throughout this memorable day, I have been uplifted and sustained by the knowledge that your thoughts and prayers are with me,” the Queen said in her speech, according to royal.uk.

Aline Gonzalez, Staff Writer

On Sept. 8, Queen Elizabeth II died at the age of 96. Elizabeth ruled over England for 70 years, making her the longest reigning monarch in the history of England. During her reign, Elizabeth met 13 U.S. presidents, from President Truman to President Biden, all of whom remembered and appreciated her. She is missed by not only her country, but by people all around the world as well. She was a great queen and role model for everyone. 

King Charles is far older than his mother was when she first took the crown at the age of 25. Because of this, he doesn’t have the experience she did. While some argue that King Charles is not ready because he doesn’t have experience, he is ready to take on the pressures of ruling over a kingdom because he was able to witness and take notes on how his mother handled world events that happened throughout her reign. 

While King Charles may not have the same ruling strategy as the previous Queen, he has had the training necessary to rule over the UK. Because King Charles’ coronation is paid by public funds, he plans to budget so money is ensured. The cause of this is because of his awareness of the struggles of Britons. He also “wants to be more representative of different community groups and faith,” according to News.Sky.com. Another plan of his is to reduce the number of working royals. 

Sophomore Blessing Amuga believes people will not fully be happy with King Charles. “I think the royal house is going to be divided, because not everyone is going to support Charles,” Amuga said. King Charles has big shoes to fill and needs all the support he can get.

Math teacher Karen Curran believes that King Charles will carry on his mother’s traditions as well as “[give] his own spin” while he rules. “Nobody can touch Queen Elizabeth, and I think [King Charles] knows that,” Curran said. “So I think he will be humbled by that and try not to upset the apple cart too much.”

In the end, the Queen’s death marked the beginning of a new era for people around the world. She was an incredible person and her kind heart will always be remembered. King Charles’ training has helped ensure that he will make a great king.  He has already proven that he cares for the people, and is ensuring to keep his mother’s legacy as well as moving Britain into the modern world.