Teachers Get Served as Students Break the Tie in Annual Students vs. Staff Volleyball Game

On Nov. 18, students and staff competed against each other in the seventh annual Students vs. Staff Volleyball Game. Out of two sets, the staff won the first and the students won the last.

Maya Coleman

The student team surrounds the trophy signed by MVPs from previous years. Pictured left to right: freshman Jaquelyn Malapira, sophomores Lauren Madison and Charisse Rose Caparros, seniors Nihal Sirivolu, Rishi Chawla, Iyush Hoysal, Ali Mohsin, and Ilias Cholakis, sophomore Mihir Peta, seniors Brandon Kilfeather, Arun Karthikeyan, and Aniketh Dasika, and junior Abdullah Lodeen.

Ananya Karthik, Maya Coleman, and Shivu Sathe

“Win.” That was science teacher Michael Clear’s only strategy in order for the teachers to take the trophy this year. That objective was futile, though, because the overall score of the game was 31-30 in the student’s favor, breaking the 3-3 tie that’s been looming over their heads since last year.

The students and staff participated in the seventh annual game, which was an important game for all who played — and all who watched — since it would break the tie of three wins for both teams. Spirits were high and the crowd cheered at every turn, making for a lively game. Sophomore Lauren Madison is on the junior varsity volleyball team and played for the first time in the annual game this year. “I think the students did well, compared to the staff who have played volleyball before,” Madison said. 

Early in the game, teachers had a strong lead on the students that lasted them throughout the first set, ending in a score of 25-23, but their celebration was premature. The students made a fierce comeback during the second set, taking over the teachers with 8-5, ending the game with a total score of 31-30. Freshman Laura Adams, a student on the freshman volleyball team reflected on the strategies that helped the students win. “Each and every person [had] their different specialties, so I think when we all [came] together we all [used] those to [our] advantage to help us win,” Adams said.

Sophomore Mihir Peta won MVP for his dedication to the students’ team. “It was really a team effort,” Peta said. “Without my team, I couldn’t really get that receive to set, [or the spike], so hats off to my team.”

Despite the students taking the win, the annual game had been a tradition that the teachers looked forward to. “I like being able to work with teachers I don’t get to see all the time [since] a lot of the team is teachers from other departments, so I [like that I can] get together with friends and other adults,” English teacher Shelby Whittington said. 

A key factor that played into the students’ win was their communication throughout the game, according to sophomore Charisse Rose Caparros, a player on the student team. “Communication is key in volleyball because if you don’t talk, it’s going to go into chaos,” Caparros said.