Girls Lacrosse Season Opener Results Leave Room for Improvement

On March 16, the Phoenix varsity girls lacrosse team opened their season against the John Handley Judges. The game resulted in a Phoenix loss of 13-0.

Freshman+Tatiana+Bernard+makes+a+breakaway+in+an+attempt+to+score+a+goal.+As+a+brand+new+athlete+to+the+sport%2C+Bernard+has+set+many+goals+for+this+season.+%E2%80%9CI+hope+to+win+some+games+in+the+future%2C+or+at+least+improve+%5Bthe+amount+of%5D+points+we+score%2C%E2%80%9D+Bernard+said.+

Kamille Simon

Freshman Tatiana Bernard makes a breakaway in an attempt to score a goal. As a brand new athlete to the sport, Bernard has set many goals for this season. “I hope to win some games in the future, or at least improve [the amount of] points we score,” Bernard said.

Bhargav Kuniki and Kamille Simon

After a long process of tryouts, relentless practices, and scrimmages, the Phoenix varsity girls lacrosse team was ready to gear up for their first official game of the season. Traveling from Winchester for the match up, they faced the John Handley Judges on March 16. 

Following warm ups, the referee’s inspection of the equipment, and a coin toss, the game began. The Phoenix started off the game with possession of the ball. Soon after, the Judges stole the ball from the Phoenix and scored. 

Throughout the first half, the Phoenix were hesitant to communicate with one another on the field. Aiding the Judges lead of 8-0 at the half. Freshman Tatiana Bernard was one of the starters for the game, and felt there was something missing. “I think we need to work on communication with our teammates, [making sure we know] who has what,” Bernard said. 

Luckily, the Phoenix were able to step up their defense and communication after halftime. The girls came back on the field ready to defend their opponent, and they were able to turnover the ball and have possession of the ball for longer periods of time. 

The Phoenix fought against a strong defense, making it difficult for the Judges to score. However, despite this effort, the game ended with a Phoenix loss of 13-0. With a long season ahead of them, the Phoenix have time  to develop as a team and potential to win against their future rivals. “I feel like we are all beat down that we lost,” Bernard said. “But we know we are going to improve, and get better throughout practices and the games we play. So we are looking forward to being able to get a win.” 

Despite the loss, players reflected on the game optimistically “Even though we lost I saw a lot of improvement from the scrimmage a couple days ago.” sophomore Jackie Cheek said. A lot of players shared the same feelings “ The important thing was that we worked hard even though we lost.” sophomore Lexi Anspach siad. “ Our strength was working together as a team during the game and it’s harder because we have not many veteran players.”

The next Phoenix girls lacrosse home game will be  on April 18 against Jefferson Forest High School.