Spirit Week Ends with a Final Play Against Vikings

Student spirits were high as they participated in pre-homecoming activities at the tailgate prior to the homecoming football game to conclude a week of fun spirit days and a pep rally. Following the tailgate, the Phoenix took on the Vikings in the homecoming football game, losing the game 42-14.
Maddie Nyman
The Phoenix football team runs out onto the field to take on the Loudoun Valley Vikings for the Homecoming football game, concluding a week of fun and games for students.

On Friday Sept. 29,  students gathered outside the stadium for fun and games at the first tailgate of the year. The excitement was high, as students were thrilled to be able to participate in a tailgate after the first one was canceled due to severe weather. The SCA set up an exciting tailgate with food trucks, ice cream, cotton candy, games, and face painting.

Students lined up to play several of the games offered, but the one that caught their attention the most was the dunk tank. Students got the chance to dunk some of their teachers, and they took turns to hit the trigger.  Some of the teachers who participated included chorus teacher Jordan Markwood, math teacher Dermott McGee, and marketing teacher Ben Stodola.

Junior Krish Jagtiani enjoyed the tailgate and what it had to offer. “It’s really nice. My favorite activity is where you throw the ball, and where Markwood has to go down in the water,” Jagtiani said about the game “dunk the teacher.” (Bella Gerardi)

Following the tailgate, the varsity Phoenix football team took on the Loudoun Valley Vikings in an intense game. The Phoenix started the game by getting a feel for their opponents. Senior Emmanuel Bankole started the play feeling confident. “During the first half, our team was trying to lock in,” Bankole said. The first half ended with a touchdown made by junior Julian Ogletree.

During half-time, the 2023-2024 Homecoming court was announced, andsenior Maggie Miller was crowned the first royal, leaving students in anticipation for the next Homecoming royalty crowning at the Homecoming dance on Sept. 30.

Following the halftime performance, the game was placed on hold while a medical incident was addressed. Following the brief delay of play, the Phoenix bounced back and senior DJ Ferrell scored the second touchdown of the game.  The Phoenix played hard against the Vikings, but lost the game 42-14.