• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Lightning Strike Phoenix During Baseball/Softball Double Header

On March 19, the Phoenix baseball and softball teams took on the Lightridge Lightning in an intense double-header. The games ended with the Lightning taking home both wins with scores of 20-1 for softball and 15-0 for baseball.
Senior+Kyle+Woody+and+sophomore+Riya+Cheruki+pitch+for+their+teams.+The+game+had+many+ups+and+downs+for+both+the+opponent+and+the+Phoenix%2C+but+in+the+end%2C+the+Lightning+were+able+to+secure+the+win+for+both+their+softball+and+baseball+teams.+
Aline Gonzalez
Senior Kyle Woody and sophomore Riya Cheruki pitch for their teams. The game had many ups and downs for both the opponent and the Phoenix, but in the end, the Lightning were able to secure the win for both their softball and baseball teams.

While both softball and baseball have similar goals and concepts, including getting to home base and the various positions played, there are many differences between the two sports. For example, pitching styles differ between the sports. Baseball pitching styles include the overhand, three-quarter, sidearm, and submarine. Softball, on the other hand, has a wider variety of pitches such as two-seam fastball, changeup, curveball, and many more. 

On March 19, the Phoenix softball and baseball teams competed against the Lightridge Lightning, with the Lightning taking home both wins. The softball team fell to the Lightning with a mercy rule of 20-1 and the Lightning baseball team won 15-0. 

Softball

The softball game started with both teams fighting for the win. The Phoenix girls hustled to keep the Lightning opponents from getting any home runs. However, the pressure of the game can often get in the way of the team dynamic. Senior Bennett Koch says it can be intimidating being on the field in the heat of the game. “It’s scary because everything is on you and these girls come out really strong and know exactly what they’re doing, but you’re just a baby,” Koch said. “You don’t know what you’re doing.” 

Even though the softball game resulted in a loss, freshman pitcher Lily Omo believes the team will get better with practice as the season progresses. “I think it’s about everybody showing up to practice and trying their best,”  Omo said. “I think by the end of the season we’ll have a lot more improvement. We have a lot of new people and it’s hard trying to teach this sport and play against people who have been playing their whole lives.”

Baseball

Like softball, the baseball team didn’t get the results they were looking for out of the game. However, the loss didn’t stop the team from taking it as a lesson. Senior first-baseman Paul Smith found that there are some things that both the team, as well as himself, could improve on. However, Smith likes to focus on went well. “Our pitching is pretty good, we need to keep hitting better and our defense is still consistently pretty good,” Smith said.

Throughout practice every day, the team spends two to three hours with pitching and fielding. They use the rest of their practice for hitting, demonstrating their dependable and persistent skills with batting on home plate at games.

Overall, both teams had good and bad moments throughout both games, but it was the Lightning teams that took home the victories.