• Important Dates -->
  • 5/17: Rocky awards
  • 5/20: All School Awards (virtual)
  • 5/22: Region Track Champs
  • 5/23: Band Concert
  • 5/28: Orchestra Concert
  • 5/29: Chorus Concert
  • 6/4: Miscast Caberet
  • 6/6: Capstone Gala
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Nguyen Swan Song: No Knowing
Opinion
Nguyen Swan Song: No Knowing
Sydney Nguyen, Design Editor
Chand Swan Song: What Will Be, Did Be
Opinion
Chand Swan Song: What Will Be, Did Be
Diya Chand, Staff Writer
Exchange students from Bosnia & Herzegovina, the Czech Republic, Finland, Estonia, France, Lebanon, South Africa, Spain, the United Kingdom, Poland, Germany, and Italy, arrived for the annual Loudoun International Youth Summit.
News
LCPS Hosts Exchange Students for Annual Summit
Azciel Goodhart, Staff Writer

Prom: A Sinless Night in Sin City

On Friday, April 12, juniors and seniors gathered from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. at the Dulles Marriott Hotel for a night of fake gambling, dancing, and celebration under this year’s eccentric prom theme: Las Vegas.
Bhargav Kuniki
Students dance the night away on the floor as the music blasts in a “Vegas-inspired” ballroom, decorated with casino-themed adornments.

On Friday, April 12, the Student Council Association (SCA) hosted its annual prom at the Washington Dulles Marriott Hotel and chose the theme to be the notorious sin city, Las Vegas.

The event organizers consisted of grade class sponsors and teacher volunteers who set up the venue and ensured that the entire event moved smoothly throughout the night and that everyone was accounted for. This year’s prom was decorated from scratch, and  teacher volunteers created much of the decor and art.  One of those volunteers was history teacher Victoria Webb. “Prom is such a wonderful event,” Webb said. “I loved being able to make it memorable. I loved working with other teachers and seeing all of our incredible students.”

On one side of the ballroom, a casino pit with several gambling games such as Blackjack, Texas Hold ‘Em, and Roulette was set up, adding to the Las Vegas atmosphere. If attendees didn’t desire to play at the tables, they had the option of taking photos at the photo booth with various props. Additionally, they could take to the dance floor, where they could request music to be played through a QR code posted on tables. “I’m lucky I got here a little bit later because the music started to get really nice and we had a lot of fun,” senior Kinda Rchaid said. “All my friends were there so we got to meet them first.”

The party had plenty of tables and a wide selection of food and beverages for students to eat and drink, or sit around and talk with each other when more people flooded in.  

During the middle of prom when the venue occupancy was at its highest, the names of prom king and queen nominees were announced. The couples were, August Thomas and Emily Gruessing, and Kinda Rchaid and Emon Naderi, and the crowned king and queen were Rchaid and Naderi. “I wasn’t really expecting [the win] to be honest, I thought that the other couple would win,” Rchaid said. “I was rooting for them too-I voted for them, but we ended up winning and still had fun.” 

They were subsequently given their crowns, and the floor was cleared out for them to slow dance together as students surrounded them. Their slow dance song was “Leave The Door Open,” by Silk Sonic, and their sentimental moment resonated with the attendees, who cheered them on, and later joined in dancing again with them soon after.

Although prom was hosted in the Marriott Hotel this year, next year that may not be the case, as during this year’s prom, only 350 tickets were sold.  The junior class needed to sell at least 400 tickets to cover the costs of the hotel, the prom itself, decorations, the DJ, and food/drink. Low attendance was a concern last year, but now is shaping up to become a real issue as they most likely no longer have the funds to keep hosting junior/senior prom at the hotel. Prom may be held in the ym next year, which is highly unfavored by students, but still a likely outcome. “I’m honestly really thankful I’m graduating,” Rchaid said. “I feel bad for everyone that has to have [prom] next year in the gym because it’s just like doing that for homecoming too. I hope something changes, because [having prom and homecoming in the gym] can’t be right.”