• Important Dates -->
  • 5/17: Rocky awards
  • 5/20: All School Awards (virtual)
  • 5/22: Region Track Champs
  • 5/23: Band Concert
  • 5/28: Orchestra Concert
  • 5/29: Chorus Concert
  • 6/4: Miscast Caberet
  • 6/6: Capstone Gala
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Only Laughs and Literature at the Open Mic Night

On Tuesday, April 23, NEHS held an Open Mic Night to highlight and celebrate students’ work in a safe and friendly environment. Students were offered light snacks while socializing and playing games with their peers.
Sophomores+Neha+Naga+Balaji+and+Sophie+Adas+attempt+to+act+out+the+term+%E2%80%9Cbear+hug%E2%80%9D+in+a+game+of+charades.+
Sitwat Mian
Sophomores Neha Naga Balaji and Sophie Adas attempt to act out the term “bear hug” in a game of charades.

On Tuesday, April 23, the National English Honor Society (NEHS) held its first Open Mic Night for the 23-24 school year, providing a chance for peers to interact with one another, share their creative works, and eat refreshing treats in a soothing environment.

English teacher Jennifer Beasley said that the event was inspiring and commemorated the students for their bravery. “I would describe [Open Mic Night as the] most creative [and] most inspiring, [where] our bravest students come here to share what they’ve written [and] what they feel,” Beasley said. “I think it’s pretty brave of them. It kind of unifies us all because we all have a passion for words.”

Beasley kicked the afternoon off with a quote from the American rapper, Tupac Shakur. “I always get up and kick it off to help them out, but I always use somebody else’s words,” Beasley said. “I’ve never been brave enough to use my words.”

It was an option to speak and share original work but the pleasant environment allowed for a safe space for students to speak. Attendees shared original songs and stories, along with poetry from popular poets.

Students spent their time playing games such as charades or ranting about topics that distressed them by picking folded pieces of paper from glass jars. One of the activities was “acting as teachers,” where students acted out the teacher they had pulled from one of the jars without the use of words. Senior Olivia McMahon acted as English teacher Samuel Colston and chorus teacher Jordan Markwood for her peers to guess.

While there were few in attendance, the atmosphere was relaxing and calming which allowed for a safe and creative space to share pieces and get to know other peers.