• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

Advocating For Inclusivity and Support Through Shirts

Bringing awareness to things like disabilities and military services, students of the Rock Ridge School Store embrace unity and empathy through shirts created by the marketing department.
Dayanna Anton
The marketing class created shirts to sell at the school store, The Phoenix Peak to bring awareness to different causes like special needs, or disabilities, as well as children of military family members. k. To accurately represent each cause, students from the marketing class got the chance to partner up with counselor Ashlee Erestain and different programs including the Special Education department.

On May 9, a parade of students emerged sporting a certain kind of spirit wear sold in Rock Ridge’s school store, The Phoenix Peak. This was not a coincidence, but a movement by the store in conjunction with the school to commemorate the initiative “May I Serve.” Rock Ridge’s contribution to the celebration was offering a unique set of attire based around military children and students with disabilities.

A large selection of the shirts promotes positivity and awareness of disabilities in general. One such shirt reads “Break the stigma,” a message about the stereotypes often placed on those with disabilities and their competence to complete jobs of all types.

Another shirt depicts the instantly recognizable Phoenix logo colored royal purple overlaid on an American flag. Purple has long been used as a symbolic color for military children. The school recognized the importance of children in these circumstances and thus created a shirt commemorating them, thanks to school counselor Ashlee Erestain who reached out to the Marketing I class. Numerous students choose to enlist in the armed forces directly or attend one of the many academies around the country. Others are simply children of military families who face the struggle of constant relocation. Nevertheless, the shirt helped promote the school program for everyone related to the military.

The store has made a tremendous effort to spread the word of the “May I Serve Day” initiative through these shirts, and has covered a great number of the bases that impact both students at Rock Ridge and their parents.

“The awareness helps,” marketing teacher Ben Stodola said. “Every time someone wears it they might be like, ‘Hey what’s this for’ and there’s a different story tied to them.”