• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

Yearbook Shows That Rock Ridge Is “Exactly Like Nowhere Else”

As the school year comes to an end, the yearbook class finished up their “magnum opus” and sold it to students interested in purchasing a copy. This year marks the tenth year Rock Ridge has been open, which is what the yearbook class focused on when creating the theme.
Aline Gonzalez
Once the yearbook came out, students got the chance to pay for it online and pick it up at the concession stand, or bring money and pay for it at the concession stand during the lunch block.

From completing and passing final exams, turning in missing assignments, and doing end-of-the-year projects, it can seem like the end of the year is truly the most stressful in a student’s and teacher’s lives. However, one main highlight as school comes to a close, apart from the last day of school, graduation, and prom is the publishing of the yearbook.

“Exactly Like Nowhere Else” commemorates the tenth anniversary of Rock Ridge and everything that makes the school unique. Junior Kaitlyn Gutshall, who is in her first year as a part of the yearbook staff and is an editor, helped brainstorm some of the ideas that were implemented into the 2023-24 yearbook. “We added an ‘X,’ which is on the front cover,” Gutshall said. “We [also] wanted [the yearbook] to pop, so we decided to put a lot of colors and really big fonts on each page and we kind of laid out the page diagonally to represent the ‘X.’” The “X” represents the Roman numeral for “ten,” something the staff was eager to highlight. 

Aside from the cover, the staff was excited about how the whole book turned out after a whole year of putting it together. Freshman Ilham Rizvi was one of the many yearbook staffers who was happy the moment the yearbooks arrived. “When we got the yearbook, it was really exciting,” Rizvi said. “We opened the first page and were like, ‘Oh, we did such a good job with it.’”

Rizvi is a photographer for the yearbook this year, and she feels like this year she has grown as both a photographer and person and opened up to her peers. “I usually focus on taking pictures and not putting captions on the spread,” she said. “The hardest part, because I am a freshman, is that I didn’t know a lot of things, like not knowing how events work.”

The yearbook class wasn’t just about focusing on the publication, but also about learning new skills, making new friends, and having fun. Although in her first year in the yearbook, junior Alana Vernon found the class to be relaxing. “I joined the yearbook because many of my friends are on it, and they felt I would be good at it,” Vernon said. “As long as you are enjoying the work and doing it, [the class] is really fun.”

The yearbook was available to buy throughout the whole school year, and you can get a copy in through this link until they sell out.