Madison Taggart: Swan Song

Madison Taggart, Staff Writer

For what so many people extoll as a momentous occasion, a moment that has been drum rolled and built up to, graduating high school feels surprisingly underwhelming yet intimidating. It seems like such a long time when I was sitting in the classroom and pulling late shifts trying to finish up projects before the deadline. When I sit and think though, I can’t help but feel that time has slipped through my fingers faster than water, dribbling away and filled with lost opportunity and fond memories.

From ninth to 11th grade, I’ve gotten to do so much more than I thought I’d normally do. I’ve joined technology class and got to research and make my own circuit boards and endoscopes. I’ve made friends with my teachers and made some of the best connections I’ve ever had. I’ve even gotten into clubs and gotten to travel and explore more than I ever have before.

Yet, there’s still so much I’ve missed. This feeling has become so much more prevalent in senior year, where I’ve been left to think while I’m resting my eyes between online classes. Once it’s time to look back and compile the past four years into a few pages for colleges to peer at, it’s easy to realize just how much you’ve done, but also what you haven’t gotten to do yet. 

It’s no good to reflect on missed opportunities since the moment has already passed. Yet one can’t help but wish that perhaps with a little more daring, a little more exploration, or maybe a bit more curiosity, things could have gone differently.  What would have happened if I chose to join chorus in my freshman year? Should I have tried joining that club? Of course, you can’t do everything you want to; you must prioritize some items. But if you never try something new, you’ll never know what will happen.

If there’s anything that can be taken away from this year, it’s that opportunity, when it is presented, must be seized before it slips away. It may be cliché, and it most certainly is. However, that doesn’t stop it from ringing true, especially in a year where opportunities have become all the rarer. 

I don’t regret how I’ve spent my time in high school far from it. I may wish I’ve done more at times, but when I look back, I see how much I’ve still gotten done, and I look forward to all the future opportunities that await me.