Swim Team Kicks Off Season With The Encouragement Of An Exciting Win

On Jan. 8, the Phoenix girls swim team emerged from the pool victorious for the first time in almost 4 years. The boys are doing well, winning 6 meets as of the end of January.

Rachel Adams

Freshman Andrew Takach dives in for his 200 yard IM race. “I love the competition and team environment. I enjoy improving and working hard,” Takach said. While this is Takach’s first year on the team, he has been swimming competitively for 8 years prior to joining.

On Jan. 8, the girls swim team accomplished something they haven’t done in almost 4 years: winning their first swim meet. With a score of 129-122, the Phoenix overcame the Heritage Pride. 

According to sophomore Juhi Vaidya, the atmosphere on the bus home was enthusiastic and “very hype.” The team was excited about their win, receiving encouragement from fellow teammates and coaches. “I was very proud. We haven’t won many in the past. It was a welcome surprise,” Vaidya said.

Swim meets are fast paced, with minimal time to rest for swimmers. Some compete in back-to-back events, and although the athletes get a 10-minute break halfway through the meet, the action is constant from the starting 200 yard medley relay to the final event, the 400 yard freestyle relay. “After swimming a long set, you’re tired, but you still feel cool in the water,” sophomore Nikita Rao said.

After their events, some swimmers, like freshman James Cheeks, speak to their coaches about how they think they did.  The coaches provide constructive criticism and congratulate the swimmer on how they did. “I ask [the coach] what I need to fix. After a set I ask her what’s next,” Cheeks said. The swimmers seek to improve their strength and skills by asking questions and taking what they learn to new levels. 

Two meets after the streak – shattering Heritage win, the team was still feeling encouraged. On Jan. 15, Dulles South Recreation Center’s competition pool was filled with supportive chants and hugs. The team was prepared for their meet against Dominion.When the final heat was complete, the meet ended with the boys winning by 15 points, and although the girls lost, their spirit was still shining through.

The swim team has had a great season, but it’s not over yet. The Phoenix swim team also has swimmers that qualified for regionals and states, which will take place on Feb. 12 and Feb. 17-19, respectively.