Broadway Desserts Returns to The Rock

After two years, students, staff, and community members reunited under the dimmed cafeteria lights and playbill decor to watch performances at the annual Rock Ridge Sings fundraiser — Broadway Desserts.

In+the+final+song+of+Act+One+at+Broadway+Desserts%2C+junior+Julia+Freeman+raises+her+fist+while+singing+%E2%80%9CEx-Wives%E2%80%9D+from+%E2%80%9CSix%2C%E2%80%9D+accompanied+by+senior+Maddie+Kesler%2C+junior+D%E2%80%99Amora+Brunson%2C+and+sophomores+Mariah+Waters+and+Kaia+Greene%2C+as+well+as+junior+Mary+Kate+Connor+%28not+pictured%29.+%E2%80%9CWe+chose+%5B%E2%80%9CEx-Wives%E2%80%9D%5D+since+we+wanted+to+do+a+group+project.+We+usually+only+do+individual+projects%2C+and+we+thought+it+would+be+fun+to+come+together+and+perform+it%2C%E2%80%9D+junior+D%E2%80%99Amora+Brunson+said.+

Megan Langsam

In the final song of Act One at Broadway Desserts, junior Julia Freeman raises her fist while singing “Ex-Wives” from “Six,” accompanied by senior Maddie Kesler, junior D’Amora Brunson, and sophomores Mariah Waters and Kaia Greene, as well as junior Mary Kate Connor (not pictured). “We chose [“Ex-Wives”] since we wanted to do a group project. We usually only do individual projects, and we thought it would be fun to come together and perform it,” junior D’Amora Brunson said.

For the first time in two years, the cafeteria became a stage as Broadway Desserts returned to the spotlight on Feb. 18. For ten dollars a ticket, the annual Rock Ridge Sings fundraiser promised a great show of Broadway hits and unlimited treats. Community members sat at Broadway-themed tables piled high with trays of desserts and enjoyed seventeen performances from Rock Ridge and a special performance from Stone Hill students. 

Emceed by the comedic seniors playing Mrs. and Mr. Wormwood in RRPA’s soon-to-be spring production of “Matilda,” Maddie Kesler and Jack Gould kept the packed house entertained from the start of the show through every transition to the very last note performed.  “My favorite part of tonight was Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood hosting the show,” attendee and performer, senior Karishma Ruhnke, said. “I loved them so much.” Ruhnke performed in groups with her friends for the songs “Ready Set, Not Yet” from “Beetlejuice” and “Take Me or Leave Me” from “RENT”. 

The event was an opportunity for the arts to come together again after the restrictions of the pandemic. “I really just think it’s a good opportunity [to perform tonight], because the arts haven’t really been around for two years and now we are able to come back and be together,” freshman Annabelle Monte said. Monte performed “If Momma Was Married” from “Gypsy” with freshman Kaylie Rivers at the event.  

All of the acts performed were accompanied by songs from famous musicals, such as “Wicked,” “Guys & Dolls,” “Annie,” “La La Land,” and more. 

It was also announced during the event that several students from RR Sings had been selected to the All-Virginia Chorus to represent Rock Ridge. Near the exit, a table was set up to raise additional money in donations for the students to be able to travel to Richmond in April and other associated fees for RR Sings.