Psychology Club Positively Supports Students

Every other Thursday, students interested in psychology gather in room L403 to de-stress and learn healthy coping mechanisms.

Mars Foley

On April 21 at the second Psychology Club meeting, freshmen co-presidents Lauren Madison and Natalie Martinez discuss writing positive affirmations on sticky-notes to display in the hallway.

Mars Foley and Maddie Nyman

The Psychology Club focuses on learning psychology to help members better themselves and others.   The group is sponsored by history teacher Kevin Briscoe and psychology teacher Danielle Donovan, and is led by freshmen co-presidents Natalie Martinez, Lauren Madison, and senior Shamira Ouattara. 

At the first meeting, club members took a personality test, and at the second meeting, they wrote positive messages to uplift students who may need it.

“I’m the leader with two other girls, and it’s been super fun; we’ve been doing fun activities like writing on sticky notes and putting them in the hallways. [It’s] just a positive, de-stress club,” Co-president Outtara said.                                                                       

The club board members plan to hold other activities at their last few meetings to familiarize themselves with the brain. “We want to do a short-film day, where we learn more about the brain and body language,” Outtara said.

The Psychology Club is a way in which students can gain exposure into the field of psychology and get a taste of the AP Psychology course that is offered to juniors and seniors. “I plan to take [AP Psychology] when I’m a junior, because psychology’s something that really interests me. That’s why I joined the club, mostly, because I want to learn more about it,” Martinez said.

All students are welcome to join the club; registration is free and open to all grade levels. The next and final meeting will take place on June 2 at 8:30 a.m. in L403 where they will nominate next year’s officers.