PTSO Discusses Monthly Updates and Austrian Exchange Program

At their Oct. 6 meeting, members of the PTSO introduced information regarding the Austrian exchange program, citing the need for more host families. The PTSO also set goals for upcoming school events, such as the Homecoming dance.

Sruthi Sakala

German teacher Charles Riemert discusses information regarding the Austrian Exchange program that he’s organizing. “We’re looking for host families for nine [Austrian] students,” Riemert said. “This is a good opportunity for students in need of service hours, as they receive well over 200 hours [for hosting].”

Iyush Hoysal and Sruthi Sakala

On Oct. 6, the PTSO held their monthly member meeting in the library, which focused on many topics, including information on the Austrian Student Exchange program, homecoming, and school updates. 

The meeting started off with German teacher Charles Riemert introducing the Austrian Student Exchange program. Riemert shared what the program  entails and how it would benefit students at our school. The program consists of a group of 25 Austrian students visiting the United States and hosting them as they experience what life is like in America. “[The reason I’m doing this] is because I want them to experience [America] like the locals do,” Reimert said. “[That’s] why I’m such a huge advocate for these exchange programs.” His goal at this meeting was to raise awareness about the exchange program, and answer any common questions that families may have. 

In addition, the PTSO had their sights set on helping out the individual grade levels this year. With homecoming around the corner, they are proposing to give each class $50 to help them buy supplies for hallway decorating. “[Hallway decorating] is a fun and competitive [activity] that pulls in a lot of participation from students in each class,” PTSO president Tiffany Ahmed said. 

After the success of the Best Runners 5k and the Asha Jyothi 5k that the PTSO put together in September, they are planning on hosting another 5k around the springtime. The PTSO got almost $1000 back in donations and they will be using that to plan more events for the students. At those events, sophomore Yug Kolla placed third and second place in the races respectively.

In addition, PTSO is trying to increase parent and teacher membership and find students who are willing to be on the board to help better represent the student body and voice their opinions. 

The next meeting will be held on Nov. 3 in the library.