Phoenix Celebrate Homecoming With a Victory

On Oct. 21, the Phoenix won the annual Homecoming game against the John Paul the Great Wolves with a score of 28-20.

Karis Adnan

During halftime of the homecoming football game, senior Jack Capobianco wins homecoming royalty and is officially crowned by junior Maggie Miller. “I wasn’t expecting [winning homecoming royalty] at all,” Capobianco said. “I was very surprised but very excited.”

With suspense building from a successful spirit week week, the Phoenix football team met the John Paul the Great Wolves on the field on Oct 21 in hopes of a homecoming win. After a come-from-behind win and a strong second half, the Phoenix took the game, winning 28-20.

The first half of the game started off with a strong lead for the Wolves. The first quarter ended with a score of 6-0.  In the second quarter, despite the strong effort from the Phoenix, the Wolves were able to score twice, bringing the score to 20-0 and leaving the Phoenix to play catch-up going into the second half.

The student section and coaches, who packed the Phoenix Pit with Blackout gear for the spirit theme, encouraged their players from the sidelines with screams and cheers. In the 3rd quarter, the Phoenix gave them something to celebrate as the score jumped from 0 points  to 7 with a touchdown, leaving them with a 13 point difference with the Wolves. 

In the 4th quarter, the Phoenix pulled through with another touchdown by senior Malachi Tomlin-Younger, leaving them with the win for this game. “It feels great, coming in with my boys to take home the last victory,” Tomlin-Younger said. With a minute left of the fourth quarter, Senior Christopher Young intercepted the ball, allowing the Phoenix to maintain the lead. Students rushed to the football field, congratulating the team on a Homecoming win. The game ended with a Phoenix win of 28-20.

Before the game, SCA hosted a tailgate to get students pumped and ready for the Blackout in the Phoenix Pit. Food trucks served ice cream sandwiches, fried oreos, funnel cakes, and french fries. Students could participate in activities like poster making, face painting, basketball, and an inflatable race course. 

This was the last homecoming tailgate for seniors, so many of them tried to make the most out of it. “It’s bittersweet, knowing that it’s the last time I’ll be able to experience this,” senior Namrata Hari Naryanan said.

Freshmen Arjav Iyer and Shaun Sahayadarlin enjoyed the tailgate and game because they were able to hang out with friends. “[My favorite part is] meeting a lot of people and seeing people when it’s been a while since seeing them,” Sahayadarlin said.

At halftime, the senior homecoming court walked out onto the field as students waited eagerly to hear who the first person of homecoming royalty would be. After all nominees were introduced, senior Nina Lal and junior Maggie Miller announced senior Jack Capobianco as a homecoming royal. This was his first time on homecoming court. “It’s a great honor to be voted for by all my classmates,” Capobianco said. “I’m glad because my parents are here and all my friends.” 

The next Phoenix football game will be at home on Nov. 4 against Light Ridge Bolts.