LCPS Provides Updates on Free Lunches, Finance and Operation Matters, Funding School Programs, Health Benefits for Employees

The School Board discussed Policy 6140 regarding free meals, school county renovations, curriculum, and employee matters.

On+Nov.+15%2C+the+Loudoun+County+School+Board+opened+their+meeting+by+reviewing+current+LCPS+matters+like+free+and+reduced-price+meals+as+well+as+future+plans+regarding+school+renovations.+

Amelia Chen

On Nov. 15, the Loudoun County School Board opened their meeting by reviewing current LCPS matters like free and reduced-price meals as well as future plans regarding school renovations.

Sudeepa Pasupuleeti and Anushka Goski

During the 2021-2022 school year, LCPS provided free lunches using federal money and are working to incorporate this into their FY23 budget. School Board members reviewed Policy 6140 regarding free and reduced-price meals during this meeting and agreed that students in LCPS, which is considered one of the richest counties in the country, should not be starving during the day. Members discussed some of the repercussions of not approving this policy and stated that dismissing Policy 6140 can leave children hungry enough to not be able to focus in class. 

School Board members also discussed Finance and Operation matters regarding renovations at Cedar Lane, Horizon, and Lowes Island Elementary Schools. All members agreed that these renovations should be considered and should be budgeted for on top of the budget set aside for the new high school being constructed.

School Board Representative Gabby Frierson from Broad Run High School also conveyed her concern in regards to the need for renovations at high schools in Loudoun County. “Broad Run turned 54 this year, and we have only had 2 major renovations since I have been here, but some schools have had it a lot worse,” Frierson said. “Park View High School was built in 1976, and the students are learning in a crumbling school. while there is no reason that classes should be flooding during storms, and it is unfair for students to get an advantage as to the environment they are learning in compared to peers from other schools.”

After deciding to include renovations as a key part of the budget, the school board reflected on LCPS transportation services including buses to the Academies of Loudoun and the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST). “Keeping programs like TJ and the Academies of Loudoun accessible should be a priority, and I think it is imperative we do this,” School Board member Harris Mahadevi said. Many school board members were in favor of transportation funds being set aside for the FY24 budget. 

The topics mentioned were also about implementing the IB curriculum. Amidst the mental health concerns mentioned by parents and students from the Loudoun County school system, School Board member Ashley F. Ellis proposed the idea of the county providing virtual mental health assistance. 

School Board member Denise Corbo mentioned that the school board takes concern to employee benefits regarding employee insurance, salary, and budget. “These subjects include thousands of employees well and in excess of the statutory employee whose interest may be affected by changes to the benefits offered,” Corbo said. 

Principal Jeff Rounsley from Willard Middle School spoke at the school board meeting with his team: Counselor Jazlynn Moody, Assistant Principals Steve Pickering and Gina Russel, as well as Willard Scholars. They came to talk about Goal 1.4 from the LCPS Strategic Plan to create regular opportunities to encourage student voice through listening and action. Guests from Willard talk in support for deeper learning using the student’s voice and choice. “The point of this is to amplify [the] student voice in every aspect of school whether it is why they learn, what method they choose to learn, and how they demonstrate their learning,” Willard Middle School counselor Jazlynn Moody said. 

The next School Board meeting will take place on Nov. 29.