The Rock is Rockin’ in a Winter Wonderland

The Phoenix Choir put on their final concert before winter break and the end of 2022. By including songs that are fun, haunting, and full of holiday spirit, Rock Ridge Sings aimed to make this final send-off of the year one to remember.

Bella Gerardi

Freshman Grace Carper sings “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” Carper got the solo because she was one of the few students who wanted to try out for a soprano solo. “I love chorus and singing, it’s my passion,” Carper said.

Bella Gerardi, James Bowles, and Nadia Shirr

On Dec. 15, Rock Ridge Sings held their winter concert, “Rockin’ in a Winter Wonderland.” The concert started with all of the choirs singing “Carol of the Bells” by Kirby Shaw. 

The next two songs were “The Seal Lullaby” by Eric Whitacre and “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” by Shaw performed by the Cantus Avem. The Phoenix Chorale then performed “Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!” by Carl Strommen and “Feliz Navidad” by Paul Langford. Following the Phoenix Chorale, the Chamber Choir sang “Ani Ma’amin” by John Leavitt and “Mary, Did You Know?” by Craig Courtney. All of the choirs finished off the night with “Glow” by Whitacre, concluding one final concert before the end of the year.

Rock Ridge Sings has practiced for this concert since the fall concert on Oct. 17. Many students, such as sophomore Annabelle Monte and freshman Grace Carper, spent time outside of class practicing to make these songs perfect. “I had to do a lot of listening to the tracks, because we have some more complex harmonies in there,” Monte said.

Multiple students were also allowed to showcase their individual talents through designated solos in a few of the songs, such as Carper in “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).” She is eager to continue her singing career in the future. “I have always wanted to be a singer and actress,” Carper said. “I want to go as far as receiving Grammy Awards and starring in movies.”

According to choir director Jordan Markwood, the Phoenix Choir’s goal for this concert was community.  “The focus of Rock Ridge Sings is connection,” Markwood said. 

Freshman Caden Goodhart and Carper both highlighted that their favorite part of chorus is having a sense of family. “They’re just automatic friends,” Goodhart said of her fellow singers. 

A large part of why Rock Ridge Sings sang “Mary, Did You Know?” was to honor an alumni’s mom who passed away a few years prior, whose favorite song was “Mary, Did You Know?” “We have some really great harmony in [that piece], it’s really beautiful,” Monte said.

For anyone interested in joining choir next year, there are multiple opportunities to earn academic credits and volunteer opportunities given to help with college applications. “If singing is your passion, do it, but if you want to do it just for fun, then do that too,” Carper said. “If you want to learn how to sing, you should take choir. Markwood is an amazing teacher and he’ll be a vocal coach, so follow your heart and do what you want.”