For Band Assessment, Freshmen Take on a New Challenge

On March 3, Rock Ridge hosted the county-wide annual band assessment concerts. Schools from across Loudoun County came to participate, and Rock Ridge was awarded superior ratings for the eighth year in a row.

Sebastian Penagos Sandoval

During this year’s band assessment, Rock Ridge highlighted both their concert band and wind ensemble. Though preparations were difficult for the instrumentalists, such as Senior Bhargavi Alluri, sophomore Ragya Verma, and freshmen Risha Varma, Nathan Martinez, and Anwesha Rout, they believed that it paid off. “I think the concert went pretty good,” freshman clarinetist Nathan Martinez said.

On March 3, Rock Ridge hosted the band pre-assessment concert for the 2023 school year. During this event, schools across Loudoun County were brought on campus to be evaluated by a set of judges. Although the majority of high school band students were already settled in for performing against others, the assessment was one of the first performances for the freshmen. 

Although prepping for the band assessment may be difficult for some students, others found that with the help of band teacher Justin Radcliffe, it became easier to manage.  “I wouldn’t say that it was very hard because we have a good band teacher,” freshman Nila Divaker said. Under his direction, this year’s band assessment consisted of two groups: the wind ensemble and the concert band. 

Through the help of Radcliffe, freshmen students are able to feel more prepared to improve their skills from their previous years. Transitioning from middle school along with their old habits, band students are able to become more challenged with their pieces. Freshman Karthik Mittadhoddi is a percussionist in the concert band. “Back in middle school it was too easy, so now we’re just getting back into it.” Mittadhoddi said.

Sophomores
Instrumentalist Rishabh Goel, Jaden Thomas, and Arjun Alagappa perform with their clarinets at the band assessment concert. They participated in both concert band and wind ensemble. (Sebastian Penagos Sandoval)

The wind ensemble performed three songs: “The Flying Cadets” by James Swearingen, “Magnolia Star” by Steve Danyew, and “Galop” by Donald Hunsbuerger. Though the students only played a few songs, a lot of work went into their performances. “Band, or any fine art, is about progress and practice,” Mittadhoddi said. 

Preparation was key to success in the concert. Students spent time perfecting their parts through inside and outside of school practices. “It was really tough because Radcliff was really strict,” Martinez said. “He wanted everything to be perfect.” Through muscle memory, students were able to pull off their assessment. Though preparation was difficult, it paid off. 

Towards the end of the concert, Rock Ridge was awarded the Virginia Honor Band recognition, an excellent achievement for the school, which is given to groups who had close to perfection performances. Since the school first opened, Rock Ridge has kept the tradition of achieving this award. In addition to this reward, the band was given superior ratings from all of their judges. This helps to continue to motivate the freshmen to keep moving forward with their skills, allowing for the band as a whole to keep being the best they can be.