• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Upperclassmen Clash in Annual Homecoming Kickball Game

To kick off homecoming week, seniors and juniors competed against each other in the annual Clash of the Classes Kickball Game on Tuesday, Sept. 26. Though controversy surrounded the victory of the seniors at the end of the game, both groups had fun boosting class spirit by competing against each other.
Senior+class+participants+pose+for+a+picture+with+class+sponsors+Liz+Grainger+and+Brittany+Thomas+after+their+11-10+victory+against+the+junior+class.+
Aarohi Motwani
Senior class participants pose for a picture with class sponsors Liz Grainger and Brittany Thomas after their 11-10 victory against the junior class.

On Tuesday, Sept. 26, junior and senior volunteer players faced off in the main gym during the annual Clash of the Classes kickball game. The event was set up by the Student Council Administration (SCA) and its sponsor Michelle Prince, student activities and engagement coordinator Bradley Burzumato, and class sponsors Brittany Thomas, Liz Grainger, and Nicole Spage. 

Burzumato, acting as the referee, kicked the game off. The first innings were slow — the seniors scored no points, and the juniors scored four. However, after the second inning, the students seemed to get a grasp of the game and by the third inning, both teams developed strategies that got them more runs by the final inning. 

The seventh and final innings marked a turning point in the game. With one kick, the juniors pulled ahead of the seniors and gained a three-point lead from the 7-7 tie. This led to a great boost in team morale, and made the seniors more motivated to win. After a series of successful kicks in the last inning, the seniors were able to get the four runs that took them to a victory of 11-10. “It was very exciting; I thought the juniors were gonna pull it out there,” Burzumato said. “They had a multi-run lead during the fourth inning, but the seniors pulled up clutch.”

The juniors took the loss hard, turning the blame to the referee, claiming that Burzumato’s calls could have been biased and inaccurate. 

One junior participant, Aryan Kapoor, was especially vocal about the apparent bias. “I felt excited [because] we were [ahead] in the beginning, but then Burzumato might have given the seniors some leeway, and got them seven runs in one [inning], which I don’t think should be allowed,” Kapoor said. 

When the rumors of bias calls were brought to Burzumato’s attention, he was quick to respond. “As a ref, I remained impartial,” Burzumato said. “I am always impartial in my calls. Next year, [the juniors] won’t complain about the calls.”

Regardless of the junior team’s opinion on the referee’s calls, the seniors’ victory was a striking comeback. “I wanted to stay unbiased throughout the game,” Principal John Duellman said. “However, I really enjoyed the end result.”