Students Smash Competition in Annual Volleyball Faceoff

On Nov. 17, in the annual Student v. Staff Volleyball game, the teachers worked to tie again with the students following their loss last year.
Diya Chand
English teacher Tyler Anderson positions himself in the path of the ball, aiming to bump it back over the net to the students.

“A cocky attitude is all you need [to win],” science teacher Michael Clear said before the Student vs. Staff Volleyball Game on Nov. 11. Unfortunately for Clear, the game did not play out in the teachers’ favor. 

Students took the win with a final score of 37-31, strengthening their streak of success against the teachers.

The annual student vs staff volleyball game was much anticipated, as it was the teachers’ fighting chance to re-tie with the students after last year’s student victory broke the 3-3 tie. However, the students pulled through once again, setting the score to 5-3.

In contrast to the teachers’ competitive attitude, the students went into the game looking to have a good time. “[Our game plan is to] just go out there and have fun,” junior Mihir Peta said. “Just be confident and have fun. We’re pretty confident.”

The students’ confidence and nonchalant attitude coupled with their strong technique and communication paid off.

The teachers took a slightly different approach. After working on their communication and cohesiveness, English teacher Shelby Whittington was confident that the teachers would win. “[Our strategy is] to remind them that we have the power to fail them and keep them from graduating,” Whittington said. “So it’s all about the mind games this year!”

The first quarter started off strong for the students when they almost immediately got the first point following a powerful spike. The students continued to gain momentum in the first eight-minute set, with a streak of nine points before the teachers scored, until they ended in the lead 17-4. 

After the student streak in the first set, the teachers slowly, but surely, caught up. They ended the set with the students still in the lead 23-19, with the teachers only falling behind by four points. 

The third, and final, set was tense: the most points were scored in this set. The students stayed in the lead for the majority of the quarter, but the teachers did not lag far behind. They kept neck and neck with the students ahead by a small margin, until the final minutes of the game in which the students were able to create a six-point gap in the score. The game ended in a final score of 37-31, the student team securing a win for the second year in a row.