Rock Ridge Band Draws Up a Storm of Sounds in Latest Concert

The Rock Ridge High School band ensemble performed their first concert of the year on Dec. 7, where they collaborated with the Stone Hill Middle School band to perform a variety of winter-themed pieces.
Ananya Karthik
Junior Nivi Mohan, junior Tim Torres, and senior Tarini Panidepu (pictured left to right) play their respective instruments as part of the Wind Ensemble.

On Dec. 7, the Rock Ridge band performed its first concert of the school year in the auditorium, joining Stone Hill Middle School’s band for an hour-long performance. The night began with a short speech from Rock Ridge band director Justin Ratcliff as he introduced the middle school band and its director, Brian Morton. The middle school musicians performed three holiday-themed songs: “And to All a Good Night” by Andy Clark, “Angels in the Bleak Midwinter” by Larry Clark, and “Dragon Lord” by Randall Standridge.

After a brief stage change following the middle school band concluding their performance, the Concert Band took their places on the stage to begin their performance. They played “Gold Medal March” by Paul Murtha and “Dark Fortress” by Rob Grice.

The first piece, “Gold Medal March,” was an upbeat piece that lasted almost three minutes. It started with upper woodwinds and trumpets carrying the first strain, and low brass taking the lead in the second portion of the song. The song finished with a percussion break and a woodwind-carried closing. 

“Dark Fortress”  focused on the trumpet section, showcasing their abilities. The Concert Band overall is a young group — mostly made up of freshmen and sophomores. The trumpet section alone only has two sophomores: Arnav Das and Sreekesh Yadlapalli, and the rest of the section is composed of freshmen.

The Wind Ensemble took the stage following another brief stage adjustment. The group consists of mostly upperclassmen, with the exception of a few freshmen who had previously participated in marching band. This Wind Ensemble, also known as top band, is an honors class, which has a more demanding rigor than other band courses. 

Every year, to get the honors credit, students must have auditioned for the All-District Band and taken part in the marching band program. This challenging class is composed of students who are expected to practice their music every day to achieve a higher level of proficiency. They play more complex music than the concert group, focusing on each detail closely. 

The Concert Band, depending on the year, plays grade two to grade four music. The level of their music helps them to better their abilities and learn skills that will lead them to success, should they be placed in the Wind Ensemble in later years. 

The first concert of the year was much anticipated by the band after months of practicing their music. “I’m looking forward to sitting on stage again, because it’s been over a year [since] performing in front of crowds,” sophomore Jaquelyn Malapira said. 

Although they spent months practicing, band members said their rehearsal schedule was lighter than it had been in previous years. “We haven’t been having as many after-school rehearsals like we usually do; [Ratcliff] hasn’t been here most of the time, so it’s more like you practice on your own time, but I feel like that’s better in a way,” Malapira said. “You get to practice on things that you aren’t that good at, so when we play as a whole, [we] play it well.”

When Ratcliff isn’t directing the band, the students take the initiative to practice their music on their own or in small groups. “We have been having student-led rehearsals in class and also outside-of-school rehearsals,” Malapira said. 

Flutist Shravya Sai Chindepalli is one of the few freshmen in the Wind Ensemble. She joined the marching band program when she was in seventh grade, and continued through this year. “I’ve been doing marching band for three years, and I know what Ratcliff expects from his students, so the experience has been good for me,” Chindepalli said. 

The marching band program offers many opportunities to the students who participate, including chances to be a leader and make new friends. “[Being drum major] is a cool opportunity; everyone knows you, and you know everyone,” junior Karis Huang said. “[There have been challenges] with discipline, especially since we’re still kind of building up from COVID, and we’re still trying to teach underclassman fundamentals.”