The 66th Annual ‘Scammys’

The Grammy Awards was a star-studded event that showcased performances from SZA, Luke Combs, Billie Eilish, and Miley Cyrus, and honored a plethora of pop icons.
Aarohi Motwani
The Grammys, an award show anticipated by music fans around the world, was held in Los Angeles on Feb. 4. The event had no shortage of shocking award winners and album announcements — controversial from the very first award to the post-event statements.

The 66th Annual Grammy Awards took place on Feb. 4 in the Los Angeles Convention Center. The night was hosted by South African comedian, Trevor Noah, marking his fourth time hosting the awards. The award show featured performances from artists such as Miley Cyrus, SZA, Dua Lipa, Luke Combs, Tracy Chapman, Billie Eilish, and Olivia Rodrigo. 

The night started on the red carpet, where artists and attendees displayed glamorous outfits and spoke with interviewers and reporters, some stars even participating in the viral “GlamBot” videos, a camera designed specifically for slow-motion views of award-show attire. The Grammys ceremony began at 8:30 p.m. EST. 

Miley Cyrus won the first award for “Record of the Year” for her song “Flowers,” which came as a shock to viewers who believed other artists’ songs were more deserving of the recognition, like SZA’s “Kill Bill” or Olivia Rodrigo’s “vampire.” Many thought that Cyrus should have won the award for any of her other songs, but that “Flowers” was not worthy of the Grammy.

As with every award show, criticism of the award winners and debates on how much they deserved their awards sparked before the night was even over. Many people were against some of the award winners and were in support of people they believed should have won. “First of all, who even is Killer Mike?” senior Anisha Rapolu asked about the highly controversial rap category winner. “Second of all, Drake is someone who has made a very strong impact; he’s like the Taylor Swift of rap. Even if he didn’t win, Travis Scott had a great album this year, and one of those two should’ve won.”

The winner of “Best Rap Album” was the most controversial decision of all. American rapper and activist Killer Mike went up against well-known rap artists like Drake and 21 Savage, Travis Scott, Metro Boomin, and Lil Nas X, and received the award even though he wasn’t a widely-known artist. This sparked criticism from many viewers who believed that Killer Mike should not have won over big names with legendary albums like Travis Scott’s “Utopia” and Nas’s “King’s Disease III.”

Another controversial event of the night occurred when American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift made history by becoming the first artist to win four “Album of the Year” Grammys. Previously, the highest number of “Album of the Year” Grammy awards won was three, a feat that Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, and Swift herself achieved. 

Despite holding the record for most Grammy Awards, fans highlighted the fact that Beyoncé has never had the honor of winning an “Album of the Year” award for any of her seven highly acclaimed albums. Of these seven albums, four have previously been nominated for “Album of the Year,” but none of them won. In his speech for the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award, Jay-Z, Beyoncé’s husband, called out the Grammys for never giving Beyoncé the “Album of the Year” award. “[Beyoncé] has more Grammys than anyone, and [has] never won Album of the Year,” Jay-Z said. “So even by your metrics, that doesn’t work. Think about that. Most Grammys, [but] never won “Album of the Year.” Some of you don’t belong in the category; when I get nervous, I tell the truth.”

Arguably the most shocking event of the night was Swift’s announcement of her 11th studio album. Though many fans assumed Swift would be announcing a re-recording of her album, “reputation (Taylor’s Version).” When she won “Song of the Year” for “Anti-Hero,” she shocked viewers with the announcement of her eleventh studio album, “The Tortured Poets Department,” which is expected to be released on April 19, 2024.

Overall, the Grammys were a historical night for female artists, with almost all honorees being women.  Billie Eilish won “Song of the Year” for her track “What Was I Made For?” from the “Barbie” movie. After Eilish lost “Best Song” at the 29th Critics’ Choice Awards to “I’m Just Ken” by Ryan Gosling, viewers were glad she received a large form of recognition for her song, which inspired women around the world. 

Despite 2024 just beginning, countless artists have announced albums to be released this year, including Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lopez, Lana Del Rey, Ariana Grande, and more. Due to this, the highly-anticipated 67th Grammy Awards are expected to be a night to remember.