Phoenix Girls Field Hockey Falls to Vikings

On Sept. 27, the Phoenix suffered a loss against the Vikings, with a final score of 11-0.

Aarohi Motwani

Looking to steal the ball from a Vikings player, freshman Nanci Marcello attempts to prevent a pass.

On September 27, the Phoenix girls field hockey team went head-to-head at home against the Loudoun Valley  Vikings. The game ended in a 11-0 win for the Vikings. 

Since the first day of tryouts, the field hockey team has been building their skills and learning with each other. This year, many of the players on the team are new to the sport. “Since a lot of us are new players, there’s [still] a lot to learn,” sophomore Saanvi Vemareddy said.

Many of the players have set both personal and team goals for the season as well. “I hope that [our team] gets better at spreading out [on the field]. I personally hope that I [can] get better at hits,” freshman Saihaj Kaur said.

Although many of the players are new to the team, the team was still able to develop a bond with each other, continuing to uplift and encourage each other throughout the season. “Our team is bonding very nicely. Everyone is really nice and no one is mean or self-centered,” Kaur said. 

Head Coach Michelle Federico continues to support the field hockey team throughout the season. “Almost every player has shown great improvement,” Federico said. “They all work very hard. No matter the score, they are always encouraging the team to do their very best.”