Ford Swan Song: Keep Your Friends Close And Your Enemies Closer

Over time, I have peaked and plummeted like waves rise and fall. I’ve learned to not still a sea, but to find a rhythm and ride with it, as accepting your journey can create tsunamis.

Zahria Ford, Staff Writer

The way oxygen excites a fire, the way a downpour nourishes greenery, the way an idea set in motion can make history, time holds a plethora of opportunities that have helped me reach heights and surpass limits I never could have dreamed of achieving. The lowest point of my life was during 2020, as it was for many. However, communities upon opportunities upon solidarity lifted me out of what felt like an eternal slump. If it weren’t for my own ambitions combined with pivotal moments, then I probably would not have reached some of my biggest goals. My weight loss journey, my sudden public speaking tour, and my acceptance into American University are a few examples of finished lines I’ve been pushed across.

After moving from Harrisonburg, I learned a valuable lesson, that the world is so much bigger than I thought. As soon as I set foot in the U-Haul truck, my friend groups, my competition, my regrets all didn’t really matter anymore. I was so closed-minded in Harrisonburg that I missed so many chances to grow. My confidence was at an absolute low and I couldn’t get past how successful everyone else was and how I wasn’t like them. Once I moved to Ashburn, my slate was clean. I could start my sophomore year however I wanted and be whoever I wanted. 

The first thing I did was fall into a depression. I thought all my hard work was lost when I left Harrisonburg, so I stopped taking care of my grades, my health, and my overall well-being. Once I learned to, “never regret a day in your life. Good days give happiness, bad days give experience, the worst days give lessons and the best days give memories,” that’s when I was able to crawl out the grave I dug myself into.

First, I rescued my plummeting GPA by bringing my grades back up. Then I worked on my physical and mental wellness, resulting in 25 pounds dropped and a new love for fitness. As everything started to piece back together again, I achieved my educational goal of not only attending college with a decided major, but one of the best private schools in DC with the best study abroad programs in the country.

Not everything went according to plan, though. I never would have expected to write one of the best poems in my collection, and for it to become an award-winning piece. I didn’t expect to be published in books, magazines, newspapers, and have a featured segment on TV. I could have never predicted having the privilege to travel across the state to recite several poems I’ve written to fans of my work. I’ve never dreamed of my words having so much meaning to people besides me.

Time is both an enemy and a friend. Both reliable and unreliable. Fast and slow. Kind and merciless. The best advice I can give to both the incoming class and to my future self is to keep your friends close and your enemies closer.