The Phoenix Boys Lacrosse Team’s Hidden Strength: Teamwork

On March 3, the first lacrosse scrimmage of the season resulted in a score of 10-2 with the Phoenix falling short. Despite the loss, the team was able to find strong bonds and their biggest strength, teamwork.

With possession, sophomore Tyler Valdov (18) works as a midfielder to throw the ball back into bounds. “I think that I bring a lot of knowledge about the sport, along with a lot of offensive support, since I’m pretty good at passing and shooting,” Valdov said.

On Thursday, March 3, the Phoenix boys varsity lacrosse team faced the Lightridge Lightning for their first scrimmage of the spring season. The Lightning took an early lead, but the Phoenix were able to push through up until  the end with junior Arun Karthikeyan (12) and sophomore Tyler Valdov (18) both scoring goals during the second half. The scrimmage resulted in a defeat for the Phoenix with a score of 10-2.

Although this is only their first scrimmage of the year, junior Pranav Raghavan (23) believes their biggest strength is team chemistry. Raghavan has been playing lacrosse since fourth grade, but this is his first year playing with the Rock Ridge team. “We all have super strong bonds and I think that helps us on the field with communication,” Raghavan said. “We play together really well. Although this is my first varsity sport, I feel happy that I’m able to play alongside friends.”

Karthikeyan, who has been part of the Phoenix lacrosse program for two years, agrees with Raghavan that the team fosters striking team chemistry. “We have a great team and a great group of kids who really love each other,” Karthikeyan said. “I’m close with the team and I think we have great coordination together.”

There are many new lacrosse players that decided to join the team this year compared with last year’s pandemic season. “We have almost double the number of people we had last year and more experienced players,” Karthikeyan said. “There are also more seniors this year and we are overall looking better. I think we’re going to get a lot of wins this season.”

One of these new players includes senior Atri Bathula (10), who plays the attack position on the left side of the field. “Everyone on the team is super supportive and helped me not only understand the basics of the sport, but also lended me equipment when I was unable to purchase some,” Bathula said. “When we had our first away scrimmage, I forgot to bring water and a jacket but my teammates, Sneh Shah and Srivatsa Krishnamurthy, were kind enough to lend me their belongings.”

Some players, such as senior Humza Uddin (30) had their previous season cut short due to COVID-19. “I started playing with Rock Ridge lacrosse in sophomore year until the pandemic hit,” Uddin said. “However, since I’ve played, I’ve met lots of new people and have made lots of new friends, especially since I first moved here during sophomore year. It’s a great way to get out of my comfort zone because I’ve never played lacrosse prior to joining the Rock Ridge team.”

Uddin is a key player, serving as the only goalie of the team. “You can’t play without a goalie. Blocking the shots and stopping the goals is my job,” Uddin said. “I’m even thinking about playing in college.”

Every practice, Uddin is able to effectively improve his goalie skills practicing with Coach Art Thamasangavarn, who has played lacrosse internationally in Singapore and Spain. “He’s had a huge impact on my performance and is definitely one of the best lacrosse players I’ve seen personally. He practices his shooting on me so I know he has a really good shot,” Uddin said.  “He also does his fakeouts and other offense plays on me really well. All our coaches are really nice and they want us to get better.”

The team is led by head coach William Jones, assistant coaches Richard Wrenn and Art Thamasangavarn, and offensive coordinator Eric Fraser. “The coaches are always looking out for the team and helping us improve every day,” Karthikeyan said. 

Junior Srikar Bangaru (2), who has been playing lacrosse for three years, mentally prepares himself and the team before a game with his favorite playlists. “I like to jump around and get hype with all the other teammates in the locker room,” Bangaru said. “We listen to hip hop most of the time — and even sometimes Katy Perry.”

Bangaru enjoys playing lacrosse due to it being a contact sport. “I just find the sport so fun and I was excited when I was given the opportunity to join the team. I love the adrenaline rush I get when tackling people and scoring goals,” Bangaru said. “My favorite thing about the team is the motivation that everyone, including the coaches, provides us. We’re looking good this season with a lot more people and a good coaching staff.”

Regardless of win or loss, the Phoenix boys lacrosse team harbors unbreakable and rare team morale. “It’s as if the entire team is one big family. I just try to have fun and support the ones around me,” Bathula said. “I’m not scared of getting hurt or losing because I’ve been prepared that those outcomes will happen. I know that no matter the outcome of the game, I will always improve with the experience.”

The next Phoenix boys lacrosse game will take place on March 15 at Brentsville District High School against the Tigers.