School Board Discusses Black History and Equity in Education Month, COVID-19 Mask Mandate

At the Feb. 22 school board meeting, school board members and parents shared their opinions on the COVID-19 mask mandate, the preservation of Virtual Loudoun programs for elementary students, and equity in education.

Created by Amelia Chen

School board members discussed how to improve the education of students and Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s recent ban on the teaching of critical racial theory.

On Feb. 22, the school board met to discuss the updates on the continuation of Virtual Loudoun for elementary students, the lifting of the COVID-19 mask mandate in LCPS, and the celebration of Black History Month.

During the school board meeting, members created a plan to achieve academic excellence for students, which included a chart planning out the curriculum for students and what fits best. Members considered planning based on the next ten years. “This is an opportunity for all of us to be bold,” board member Mike Martin said.

School board member Brenda Sheridan (Sterling district) proposed various proclamations and resolutions, including the declaration of March to be designated as Education in Equity Month due to an increased amount of inequities in Virginia.

The document recognizes how handicap abilities, race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status have demonstrated a history of impacting the educational opportunities provided to students. These inequities in regards to resources — including lack of technology — have impeded student learning. The proclamation was resolved and the School Board now recognizes March as Equity in Education Month. 

Public commenters expressed their wish for the school board to bring back the distance learning system of Virtual Loudoun, citing that the system still allows for students to socialize, but more importantly, protects those underlying health conditions.

Additionally, commenters shared their disappointment in Youngkin’s decision to ban the teaching of “divisive subjects,” such as critical race theory, discrimination, and inequality among a community of people. Many were unhappy with this decision, as they believed that teaching racial theory is beneficial in preventing racism and increasing awareness.

The next school board meeting will take place on Mar. 8.