• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Wolverines Burn at the Wings of the Phoenix

On Sept. 21, the Phoenix varsity volleyball team went head to head with the Woodgrove Wolverines in a close battle. The Phoenix ultimately came out on top with a score of 3-1.
Shivu Sathe
The Phoenix volleyball team gets into a group huddle to deliberate their next move.

On Thursday, Sept. 21, the Phoenix varsity volleyball team came out with another win against the Woodgrove Wolverines, following their previous victory against the Lightridge Lightning. They won all but the first set and the leading cause of their success is thanks to the communication between teammates. “I think that we played really well as a team today,” senior Ankita Kamath said.  “After the first set, we kind of had a hiccup, [but after talking to each other], we were able to play [well] for the rest of the game.” 

After a 25-23 loss in the first set, the Phoenix fought to regain their momentum. “We didn’t play our best, but we definitely fought to keep our serves in play so we could get points,” senior Isha Uppalli said. 

The second set ended in a huge shift with a 25-14 outcome in favor of the Phoenix. “Even if we have a large point difference in a set, we push and keep that mindset that we can come back to this and not let the other team beat us,” junior Rania Lahbibi said. 

The Phoenix followed suit in the third set once again dominating the Wolverines with a tally of 25-10 to push them over, now having an advantage over the opposing team. “I think we work best when we have the most energy,” Kamath said. “After somebody gets a big kill, I feel like we are all energized, so I think that’s when we really play best as a team.”

The fourth and final set ended 25-17 for the Phoenix, leading them to a three-set win. With the pressure resting on this set to secure a back-to-back win for the varsity team, the Phoenix rallied together, both players and on-lookers. The JV and freshman teams, along with managers, went through a series of chants including the classic “She Said No!” and “Oh Mickey You’re So Fine” based on the plays made on the court. Towards the end of the set, the Woodgrove and Phoenix student sections took on the responsibility of making sure their respective teams were “winning from the sidelines” by sending taunts to the opposing team. Through it all, the Phoenix prevailed and won the game. 

The next home volleyball game will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 2.