• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Phoenix Burnout at Hands of Pride

On Oct. 3, the Phoenix field hockey team went head to head in a battle with the Heritage Pride which ultimately resulted in a loss of 11-0.
Shivu Sathe
Freshman Daniela Rojas attempts to steal the ball from the opponent. “This game was kind of an off day, but it happens. [We’ve] definitely had a lot of improvement since our first game.”

On Tuesday, Oct. 3, the Phoenix field hockey team went against the Heritage Pride, with the matchup ultimately resulting in an 11-0 loss. The Phoenix accredited the loss to the lack of communication between the players. “Ironically, [we need to work on] communicating with each other so that we know what’s going on and we play as one team [as opposed to] fighting each other,” junior, and one of three captains, Dhanya Babu said.

“I think we need to work on offense, like pushing up a little more,” freshman Morgan Anspach said. To do this, the team runs specific offensive drills like the three-man weave and push passes designed to increase their passing skills. 

Regardless of setbacks, the game did have its successes. “We [had] good hits,” freshman Daniela Rojas said. “Even though sometimes it’s off, they were pretty good, especially because this team had a big wall. I feel like if we really apply to it, our passes make it easier.” 

Sophomore Taylor Zeberlein is a returning member of the field hockey team, but due to injuries, she was unable to play in recent games and has been watching the team from the sidelines instead. “I say that we’ve improved a lot from the beginning of the year,” Zeberlein said. “We have a lot of new people on our team, so everyone was [confused on how well we would do], but I think everyone picked up the sport really fast.” 

With there being so many new people on the team, Babu has had to become someone that the players rely on. “[This team] is very different from last year, and it’s hard, especially being a new captain and someone other teammates look up to,” Babu said.

Compared to the beginning of the season, the team is starting to come together on the field. “I really liked our last quarter when we realized what our strategy was and we worked together as a team,” Babu said. 

Since the start of the season, the players have meshed well together and have become friends outside of the sport. “We’re all good friends and everyone is nice to each other,” Anspach said. “We’ve gone to Sweet Frog together and a music festival [as well]. We have a great time together on and off the field.”