• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

The Blaze’s Favorite Fall Picks

Wondering what to watch and listen to this fall? From classic literature to fan-favorite movies, The Blaze has you covered with these five fall recommendations.
Maddie Nyman
When it comes to finding new ideas or recommendations, it can be hard to pick the right choice from all kinds of media. The Blaze has recommendations spanning from the album “Red (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift to Halloween movies like “Hocus Pocus” and “Nightmare Before Christmas.”

When the air gets chillier, pumpkin spice lattes are back in stock at Starbucks, and Ugg boots are dragged out from dusty closets, it’s officially fall, which means it’s time to watch cozy movies and listen to music fit to the array of autumnal colors. The most loved fall media can range from new releases to all-time classics. 

Here is a list of five different media suggestions to get you started:

1. “Red (Taylor’s Version):” This album is a staple for one’s fall rotation. With autumnal odes like “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)” and “Treacherous (Taylor’s Version),” Swift’s hauntingly beautiful vocals perfectly embody the fall season.  Swift’s album mentions the colorful season repeatedly, with lyrics like “Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place” in “All Too Well,” and “Like the colors in autumn so bright just before they lose it all” in the title track “Red.” Junior Nishi Poduri is an avid Swiftie and associates the album with the fall season. “It makes me feel [very cozy, like a] pumpkin spice latte,” Poduri said. 
  2. “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Brontë: Once school picks up, especially during the fall, it can be hard to read on students’ time. However, some students say fall is the best time to read. “Fall just [has] a bookish vibe,” senior Kyle Cornell said. “[In Wuthering Heights], the atmosphere is very gloomy and very gothic,” Cornell said. Other classic novels to read during the fall include Anne Rice’s “Interview with the Vampire,” “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott, and “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley.
  3. “Hocus Pocus:” Although this movie came out in July 1993, it is still considered a classic re-watch each year on Halloween. “Hocus Pocus” starts with teenager Max Dennison (Omri Katz) and his little sister Dani (Thora Birch) in Salem, Mass. where they recently moved in and begin exploring the Sandersons Sisters’ old house with their friend Allison (Vinessa Shaw). After dismissing the warnings Allison tells when explaining the story behind the coven of witches (Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Najimy), Max accidentally sets free the evil witches and must find a way to stop them from becoming immortal. 
  4. “Nightmare Before Christmas:” The classic story follows Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s very own pumpkin king, as he finds the same annual tradition of Halloween boring. When walking through the woods, he finds a circle of doors each leading to a different holiday. As he enters Christmastown, he falls in love with all the bright colors and decorations and plots to take over the holiday himself by kidnapping Santa Claus. He later finds that not every holiday can be ruled by one person and helps Santa Claus fix his mistake. Just like “Hocus Pocus,” this movie came out in 1993, and while new movies come out each year during the fall season, there is nothing wrong with rewatching the classics.
  5. “Gilmore Girls:” While the show was originally released in 2000, “Gilmore Girls” has managed to stay more relevant than ever. With its fast pace, witty references, and iconic fall themes, fans find themselves coming back to watch it every year.  Senior Karla Jaen Valle has been watching the show on repeat since her freshman year. “[Fall] is the season when I usually watch Gilmore Girls,” Jaen Valle said. “It reminds me of cozy, cold, late nights.”