Rock Ridge Choir Aims to Uplift And Affirm The Community

On Oct. 19, Rock Ridge Sings came together for their annual fall choral concert. They sang a wide range of songs centered around a common theme of inclusion — including the classic “Happy Birthday,” as choral teacher Jordan Markwood celebrated his birthday that same day.
Bella Gerardi
Performing the last song of the night, “United in Purpose,” all choir members joined together at the front of the stage. Creating connections through choir is important to both Markwood and his students. Expanding from her bubble, sophomore Kiera Bacas was able to develop skills that aided her in finding a sense of community among her peers. “I got to meet other people and make new friends,” Bacas said. “If I didn’t do chorus, I probably wouldn’t be talking right now.”

The audience is silent as the first note of “Be Like the Bird” by Abbie Betinisrings out across the nearly full house in the auditorium.  They lean in to listen as the choir starts their show.

On Oct. 19, Rock Ridge Sings held their annual fall choral concert with a total of five choirs singing a wide arrangement of songs. The concert was broken up into six parts: each choir sang their respective songs before coming together to sing the final song as one. The theme for this year’s concert was “Finding the ‘Us’ in Chorus,” as the choir shared songs about community and connection.  “Everybody’s welcoming and the environment is cool,”  sophomore RJ Richardson said. “I felt easily welcomed.”

Making everyone feel welcome, seniors Maggie Miller and Ananya Akula introduced each choir’s songs in a humorous way through puns and comments. 

As the night went on, each choir sang their selected songs, all which related to the theme of uplifting one another. Coming together for the final song of the concert, “United in Purpose,” written by Aretha Franklin, all the choirs went onto the stage to sing. Before singing, choir teacher Jordan Markwood spoke to the audience about what it means to find connections through chorus, as he addressed that some students had a hard time finding friends or relationships with peers. “Each song addressed how each of us are unique,” Markwood said. “We are strong in our own right, we each bring our own gifts to the table, but together we are stronger, and when we unite in purpose, amazing things can happen.”

The night ended with a lovely surprise from choir students as they commenced the singing of  “Happy Birthday” to Markwood in celebration of his 40th. Following the concert, the choir hosted a reception in the cafeteria that brought people together in a warm environment meant for everyone to enjoy. 

The next choir performance will be on Dec. 14 for the Winter Choral Concert.