Atoms Go Negative From Phoenix Win

On Thursday, Nov. 16, the Phoenix girls basketball team went head-to-head in a nail-biting scrimmage against the Annandale Atoms, where the Phoenix came away victorious with a final score of 42-19.
Shivu Sathe
Before the game starts, senior Cora Bowen dribbles two basketballs while sitting on the bench.

On Thursday, Nov. 16, the Phoenix girls basketball team went against the Annandale Atoms for their first home scrimmage, kicking off the preseason. As it was not a regular season contest, the game was split up into typical four quarters; however, the score was reset after each quarter ended. 

The game quickly gained momentum in the first quarter with the Phoenix leading 8 to 6. This was due to a couple of free throw opportunities and teamwork to keep the ball moving and increase their shot opportunities. The second quarter, however, brought some challenges for the Phoenix. The Atoms led this quarter 11 to 8, but quickly fell behind once again in the third quarter. This trend followed until the final buzzer, with the Phoenix out-scoring the Atoms 13 to 2 in the third and 12 to 11 in the fourth. 

The team had their best moments both on and off the court. “After the game [we] celebrated. We were all happy [that we won],” freshman point guard Eryn Chemoiwa said.

With a new season, many challenges and victories arise. “I would say last year our team was mostly centered around one person, [but] this year we are using everyone’s strengths to build the team up,” junior small forward Kalen Walker said. 

Last season’s starting five was mostly seniors, which was hard for the team to lose, but as they move forward, the team has begun to play off each other’s strengths. “I think [one of our biggest strengths is that] we are communicating well,” Chemoiwa said. “When we have good communication you can see it on the court, [and] it’ll translate to when we are playing.” 

“I think the team this year has more potential and we get along as a group,” sophomore Lucy Cho said. With tryouts only being a few weeks prior to the game, the team was still getting to know each other. However, their playing style on the court started off strong at the beginning of the scrimmage. 

This season started off on a strong note with this scrimmage being one of the first games that ended up in a victory. “We were all really pumped up [during] half time and just feeling each other’s energy,” freshman Simone Diby said. 

The Phoenix girls basketball team will next play at home on Dec. 1 against the Gar-Field Red Wolves.