The Childhood Classic ‘Good Burger’ Comes Out With Sequel

Die-hard “Good Burger” fans were extremely excited and couldn’t wait for “Good Burger 2” to come out, expecting another comedy-filled film.
“Good Burger 2” is filled with packed punchlines and laughter, much like the original film. Promotional poster Courtesy of Nickelodeon.

With the original extreme popularity of the “Good Burger” movie in 1997, “Good Burger 2” had a large amount of buzz and suspension surrounding it as people anticipated the sequel. It came out on Nov. 22 and debuted on Paramount Plus. However, it was not released in theaters, which greatly reduced the number of viewers who wanted to watch it as they were required to buy a subscription. The first “Good Burger” movie rose to popularity because of its humor, so the directors felt the need to incorporate plenty of comedy into the sequel, acting as a form of recognition, and paying homage to the original film. They knew this would spark nostalgia with it being similar to the first one.

The second installment of the film featured the same main characters as the first one: Ed (Kel Mitchell) and Dexter Reed (Kenan Thompson). The plot of the first film was about how these characters worked together in the fast food restaurant, Good Burger. However, across the street, they faced new competition as another burger spot, named MondoBurger, opened. As the company threat had unusually large patties, Ed and Dexter became intrigued and started to investigate, leading them to experience the adventure of a lifetime in the process. 

The second movie continued this plot. Ed still works at Good Burger, but is now the owner. On the other hand, Dexter has become an entrepreneur, but cannot get his ideas through to  investors and ends up back at Good Burger, living with Ed. In a way, the same original villain, Kurt, returns –as his sister is trying to get revenge for Ed and Dexter putting her brother in jail. She comes back with MegaCorp, a large corporation, and lies to Ed and Dexter to get them to sign a contract helping them. However, they did not read the fine print and ended up getting Good Burger taken away from them. They then decide to march down to MegaCorp to fight back.

Freshman Leeyu Assefa saw the first “Good Burger” when she was younger, so as soon as she heard a sequel was coming out, she put it on her agenda that she had to watch it. Her and her family found the first movie hilarious, and had high expectations for the second one. “It made me laugh extremely hard, and I wish for a third one,” Assefa said. 

All people love memories, or something that triggers those memories. That was what made people so intrigued to watch “Good Burger 2.” Nostalgia is the best selling point because it gives the best feeling that everyone loves to experience. Both movies were extremely funny, and watching the second one gave viewers similar memories the first “Good Burger” brought. Older movies from the 1990s tend to create nostalgia for viewers when they watch the sequel, and “Good Burger 2” was no exception. Filled with the same reminiscent feelings of comedy,  I ultimately rate this film a 9/10.