• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Phoenix Deck the Halls With Winter Spirit

From Dec. 11-15, Phoenix students dressed according to the themes of the winter spirit week of the 2023-24 school year. The week started with “Candy Cane Day” and ended with “Glow Out” in preparation for the pep rally at the end of the week.
Maya Coleman
Senior Karla Jaen-Valle guesses how many cotton balls are in the mason jar. “I participated in trivia because I wanted to help the seniors get more spirit points,” Jaen-Valle said.

Monday: Candy Cane Day

On Monday, students wore red and white to closely resemble a candy cane to kick off the winter spirit week. The lunch game was trivia questions, where SCA handed out sheets and announced the questions over the speaker. Most students preferred to work in teams with the people they were sitting with.

Tuesday: Spotify Wrapped

Flooding the halls on Tuesday were various artists and their merchandise. People dressed either for or like their top artist on their Spotify Wrapped. The lunch game was to guess how many cotton balls were inside of a mason jar. Students were able to come up to the table at the front of the cafeteria and submit a Google Form with their guesses. Senior Karla Jaen-Valle participated in this lunch game. “It’s my senior year, and I want us to get the most spirit points,” Jaen-Valle said.

Wednesday: Wake Up Wednesday

On Wednesday, Phoenix came to school with their pajamas on. Many students brought blankets from home, and eye masks, and wore the classic plaid pajama pants. The lunch game was a partner effort — one student had to dangle a donut above another student’s mouth, and to win, the entire donut needed to be eaten. The teams were based on grade.

Thursday: Slay v. Sleigh

Dawning the school were either classy business attire or ugly Christmas sweaters –no in-between. The lunch game for Thursday was guessing what object was inside of a mystery box. At one of the tables in the front of the cafeteria, two boxes were presented to the students with two holes large enough to fit arms on the side of them. A Google Form was provided for students to submit their guesses. 

Friday: Glow Out

In preparation for the pep rally, students dressed in colors corresponding to their grade level on Friday. Freshmen wore green, sophomores wore orange, juniors wore white, and seniors wore pink. Out of all the spirit days, Friday had the most Phoenix participation. To conclude the week, the lunch game was to decorate a gingerbread cookie in under three minutes. “I didn’t really have a method,” senior Emily Spielman said. “I just thought of Christmas stuff, so I made [my cookie] look like the Grinch. [And] for three minutes, I would say [my cookie] looked pretty decent.”