• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Fetty Wap: The One-Eyed King

On Nov. 24, hit artist of the early 2010s, Fetty Wap, released “King Zoo,” his second album in eight years.
With+his+career+truly+taking+off+after+the+2015+release+of+his+self-titled+debut+album%2C+%E2%80%9CFetty+Wap%2C%E2%80%9D+two+albums+later+landing+us+at+%E2%80%9CKing+Zoo%2C%E2%80%9D+we+can+truly+observe+the+growth+of+this+R%26B%2Frap+fusion+genius.+
Photo Courtesy of 300 Entertainment
With his career truly taking off after the 2015 release of his self-titled debut album, “Fetty Wap,” two albums later landing us at “King Zoo,” we can truly observe the growth of this R&B/rap fusion genius.

With his career starting incredibly strong in 2015 with the release of his debut album, Fetty Wap was known for his hit songs like “Trap Queen,” and “679,” and was seen as a one-hit wonder of sorts for many years. 2023 proves that this one-eyed wonder was not done in 2015, and still has much more to come.

The release of “King Zoo” came to fans on Nov. 24, offering a simple experience that could also satisfy fans looking for a musical treat. This album, although it had a relatively basic release, still stands out in Fetty Wap’s discography as one of his more adventurous projects. With 17 tracks on this album, themes of classic loverboy Fetty stand outmatched, with inspiring piano instrumentals and 808s that reverberate through the eardrums.

Moving into the meat of the project, “superhuman” shines as the most emotional track on the album, as a three-minute masterpiece full of heartfelt lines and the classic Fetty Wap “yeah, babys” that fans can never have too many of. Staying on the theme of classic Fetty Wap feelings, the track “1738” features Coi Leray singing melodically over a synth beat and an upbeat, catchy performance from Fetty. 

While not incredibly emotional, “King is on His Way,” is a heavily themed song centered around fake friends and his personal challenges dealing with his fame over the last decade. He references “Hail Marys,” which lean toward him overcoming his challenges. This track highlights his mental fortitude throughout his career and the complexities he’s gone through to get where he is today. Another track that plays a similar theme is “Departure,” which describes his troubles before fame and what he needed to do to escape his previous life. He discusses how he stayed close to himself while making his moves towards success with the lyrics, “Just ‘cause I ain’t brag about it, I did everything right,” showing that while he was working hard for his music career, he wasn’t flaunting his each and every step, but rather working towards the next one. He also steps into the violence he was surrounded by during his upbringing with lyrics like, “First time I really prayed when bro got shot.” 

The project finishes on an upbeat, catchy, and dance-worthy track: “Private Party.” He flows methodically through the seemingly Jersey-inspired beat to create a party-ready song in which he screams out, “Yeah, this a private party, baby.”

“King Zoo” is available on all streaming platforms.