A Holiday Harmony: Rock Ridge Sings Merges in a Merry Melody

On Dec. 14, Rock Ridge Sings put on a show for their annual holiday concert in the auditorium. The choir groups performed various fan favorites and dedicated a song to a late member of the Phoenix community.
All+five+choirs+of+Rock+Ridge+Sings+perform+their+last+piece%2C+%E2%80%9CMary%2C+Did+You+Know%3F%E2%80%9D+arranged+by+Craig+Courtney.+The+program+dedicated+this+piece+to+a+late+member+of+the+Phoenix+community.+Markwood+expressed+that+performing+this+piece+has+become+a+part+of+the+Rock+Ridge+Sings+tradition+every+winter.+
Alexis Cortés
All five choirs of Rock Ridge Sings perform their last piece, “Mary, Did You Know?” arranged by Craig Courtney. The program dedicated this piece to a late member of the Phoenix community. Markwood expressed that performing this piece has become a part of the Rock Ridge Sings tradition every winter.

The sound of everyone’s favorite winter classics fill the air as Phoenix singers encourage the holiday spirit. On Dec. 14, the five choirs of Rock Ridge Sings (RRSings) merged together in a joyful spirit to celebrate the season, while also appreciating and honoring a late member of the Phoenix community. 

The night started off strong with Vox Femina, the all-female choir, and Chamber Choir, the advanced choir, performing “Once Upon a December,” arranged by Audrey Snyder. Vox Femina then performed the crowd favorite, “Santa, Tell Me” by Ariana Grande and arranged by Alan Billingsley, bringing out a vibrant atmosphere while encouraging the crowd to engage in the song by clapping and moving side to side. “I think we sounded really good together,” sophomore Aradhana Ravi said.

Standing in front of the mic, junior Dhanya Babu performs a quick solo while the Chamber Choir provides background vocals.
(Bhargav Kuniki)

Preparation for the concert started weeks in advance, as all choir groups began to get comfortable with performing more advanced music. “We had a lot of rehearsals,” Ravi said. “Even if we didn’t know the music, Mr. Markwood would make us sing [our pieces] without the sheet music so that we [could] memorize it better.”

Along with the bright holiday songs, one of the most significant aspects of the concert was the constant attempt by seniors Maggie Miller and Ananya Akula to make the audience laugh. As the concert hosts, they would often crack jokes and puns to keep the audience engaged while promoting a positive environment throughout the auditorium. 

After Vox Femina performed a few songs, the all-male choir took the stage. Known as Voces Virilis, the group performed “Hine Ma Tov,” arranged by Lon Beery and another classic holiday carol, “Jingle Bells,” arranged by Audrey Snyder. The group incorporated many different pitches in both pieces to add more depth, ultimately executing a harmonious blend of tones. “Being there was overall a great experience,” sophomore Voces Virilis member Ajay Nayak said. “We were all high in spirit.”

Sophomores RJ Richardson and Ronald Hodge stand in front of the mic as they perform with the Rockappella group. Richardson and Hodge sang together as junior Josh Bell provided background beatboxing sounds. (Alexis Cortés)

For the rest of the evening, Chamber Choir, Rockappella, and Cantus Avem, the freshman choir, performed various songs to keep the performance moving. Towards the end of the concert, the Chamber Choir performed “Can We Sing the Darkness to Light,” arranged by Kyle Pederson, featuring Akula as the student director for the piece. Akula skillfully conducted the group for the entirety of the piece, shadowing and adopting methods that were taught to her by chorus director Jordan Markwood. “I think she did amazing,” Ravi said. “It’s really hard to conduct a big group of people, and I think she did really [well].” 

Akula made her debut as a student conductor for the choir concert, leading the piece, “Can We Sing the Darkness to Light,” arranged by Kyle Pederson. Akula was very content with the turnout of the evening, especially since the annual holiday concert holds a special place in her heart. “Especially with this being my last year, this is the event that everyone in Rock Ridge Sings looks forward to,” Akula said. “It couldn’t have turned out better.”